In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mixing grandular and pellet pyrodex

scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
Hi;
I use an indoor range which requires the use of pyrodex pellets rather than grandular pyrodex. My rifle is a 54 cal TC Renagade, hence not inline. I am concerned with the ignition of the pellets as the there is a hole in the center of the pellet apparently for good ignition. Is it feasible to use a measured amount of grandular Pyro say 40 grains and place a Pyro 50 gr pellet on top of the grandular? I typical use the TC max hunter bullets? Any problems using the 50 caliber pyro. pellets in a 54 cal? The extra 0.04 inches does not seem that much and it is much smaller than the internal hole in the pyro pellet. Thank ypu for ypur advoce.

Comments

• Options
    ColtsmokeColtsmoke Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 50 cal. TC Hawkins that I shoot with 20 grains of Pryodex,two 50 grain pellets,a lubed felt wad,and a TC maxi-ball 320 grains.This is the load I hunt with,and it is the most accurate load I've been able to find.Using the pellets improved my accuracy,it takes the problem of loading each load with the same pressure out of the process.

I have experimented with a lot of different bullets and powder.Fifeteen grains of powder in first will hang fire about 3 out of 10 times,20 grains has never failed to ignite perfectly.

I replaced the 1 in 48 twist TC barrel with a Green Mountain 1 in 28 twist.

It will shoot a inch and a half group at 100 yds.It will also shoot the 348 grain powerbelt without a sight adjustment.I have shot better groups on a good day,I think the gun is more accurate than I'm able to shoot.

I think I've seen pyrodex pellets in 54 cal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have researched your rifle's best loads very well. Thanks again.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    all i can say is Hangfire!

loose Powder will almost always give better accuracy and consistancy than the pelets at least that has been my exsperince.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but I've got to ask. If you state "I use an indoor range which requires the use of pyrodex pellets rather than grandular pyrodex", then how can you use bulk Pyrodex as part of a load? For some frontstuffers, the 40 grains that you propose could be a full load. Just curious.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why does the range require pellets rather than granular Pyrodex?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The range allows for small amounts of premeasured loose powder. The message from the range master is to minimize loose powder as much as possible. I hope to try the loose, pellet load shortly. The TC recommended load is 90 gr of pyeodex with the MaxiBall. Hence I intend to use 40 grains of loose topped by a 50 gr pellet. The hope is for an accurate hunting load to about 100 yards. Most shoots will probably be less than 50 yards. Thank for the responses. Regards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "The range allows for small amounts of premeasured loose powder. The message from the range master is to minimize loose powder as much as possible."

Why?
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    "The range allows for small amounts of premeasured loose powder. The message from the range master is to minimize loose powder as much as possible."

Why?

Probably because they had a lot of people loading their 24" barreled muzzleloaders with 150 grains of powder and then blowing 50 grains of powder downrange with every shot. That makes for a pretty dirty range quickly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is a good reason. When these manufacturers brag about "magnum loads" they fail to mention that most muzzleloaders are not capable of burning 150 grains.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rangemaster indicated there was a hazard to be minimized with loose powder. It may be the insurance company or the fire marshal. It does not bother the in line shooters. Thanks for the info. Regards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A hazard with loose powder that is not present with pellets. That is a new one on me.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    A hazard with loose powder that is not present with pellets. That is a new one on me.

Me too. They both go BOOM when ignited.