In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre loaded plastic containers

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
When I load my Lyman flintlock with a separate patch and ball I have no trouble reloading without cleaning the barrel. When I use the preloaded cartridge container setup with the ball and patch preassembled in the plastic container I have to beat the ramroad with a rock to seat the ball.

Could the problem be dirt on the patch picked up in my possibles bag is not allowing an easy reload?

Saqge 1

Comments

• Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you load "from scratch" you probably lube the patch just before ramming the ball and patch. With the can, you probably lubed the patch a day or more in advance. Depending on what you are using for lube and patch material you may be ending up with (1)a dryer patch due to evaporation in the can, or (2)with time the fibers in the patch may be swelling from the lube or (3) some of each.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly grains of powder that have stuck to the lubed patch and are acting the same as grit when you ram the ball down? Loading from scratch, the powder isn't in contact with the patched ball until both are seated at the breech. I only load from scratch, so that's the best guess I can come up with, other than what Glabray suggested in the previous post.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys

Sage1