In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Not Legal In Florida

mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
This is a update from The Florida Wildlife Commission on Legal Muzzle Loaders, Posted yeatreday on their web site. The CVA Electric gun and smokless powder muzzle loading are not legal

Not all muzzleloaders are legal for muzzleloading gun season

October 2, 2007
Contacts: Capt. John Miller or Capt. Rob Beaton (850) 922-9022

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) wants to make it clear to all muzzleloader hunters - not all muzzleloaders are created equal. Some of the new models do not meet the legal definition of guns authorized for use during muzzleloading gun season.

The two issues which seem to be generating the most questions are whether muzzleloaders with an electronic ignition are legal and whether the use of nitro-cellulose powder is legal. Neither is legal for use in Florida during muzzleloading gun season.

"In particular, the CVA Electra is a new muzzleloader on the market that doesn't qualify as a state-defined muzzleloader," said Capt. John Miller of FWC's Division of Law Enforcement. "It is not a legal weapon for muzzleloader season because it uses an electronic ignition, fired by a battery."

The legal types of guns for use during the muzzleloading gun season use black powder or a non-nitro-cellulose substitute and are fired by wheel lock, flintlock or percussion cap ignition (includes 209). They are not adaptable to use of any self-contained cartridge ammunition.

The CVA Electra muzzleloader is legal to use during general gun season, however

Comments

• Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been said "The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) wants to make it clear to all muzzleloader hunters - not all muzzleloaders are created equal."

The same is true in Massachusetts. Many of the neat T/C guns that you can switch from muzzle loader barrels to center fire barrels are not legal for hunting in MA. I guess the reason is pretty obvious!
  • Options
    adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brands use non-nitro-cellulose? I shoot triple 7 in Florida during the ML season.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by adisonrain
    What brands use non-nitro-cellulose? I shoot triple 7 in Florida during the ML season.

Nitro cellulose is smokeless powder. I believe only one ML at this point burns smokeless. If you're shooting Triple 7 or any of the other blackpowder substitutes, you're good.

It hasn't come up in the course of these discussions, that I know of, but I will say it: I think it was irresponsible to introduce a ML that uses smokeless. My feelings have nothing to do with my belief that ML seasons were originally intended for those accepting the limitations of traditional black powder firearms, though I do feel that way. I'm concerned about the shooter who, seeing his buddy load smokeless into an in-line, assumes that his in-line can be loaded in the same manner. To an extent I agree with the idea that this is one example of how natural selection works -- the weeding-out of the weak and foolish, who make assumptions rather than read instructions. On the other hand, without in any way suggesting that smokeless muzzleloaders ought to be banned, I question the need for them, given the possibility of a potentially fatal misunderstanding. I guess it comes down to a question of, does your right to utilize the maximum in technology at some point outweigh our mutual responsibility to keep this a safe sport? Smokeless in muzzleloaders has been taboo for as long as smokeless has existed -- now someone has gone and turned conventional wisdom into a lie for the sake of higher performance.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree wholeheartedly with mongrel, Natural selection should be allowed to take it's course. The only problem in our case is that whenever you have any kind of accident or even the potential for an accident, the anti-gunners use it as fuel for there fight. (A fight now that is trying to include inline muzzleloaders in the 4473 program.)
    With the quantum leap in technology in muzzleloaders, powders and bullets over the past 10 years, the performance is close to that of a low end cartridge rifle as is, without throwing smokeless into the mix. I think this is again an answer to a non-existent question. Much like the new CVA Electra, If you want that kind of performance, buy a cartridge rifle and wait a week or two to go hunting.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colorado released a statment saying that they would allow the CVA electra to be used.

Smokeless powder is illegal, as are saboted bullets, optics or electronic sights.