In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for accuracy

linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
I have a new CVA Optima Pro black power rifle, I've shot it about 40 times so far. So barrel should be seasoned. I am using 777 pellets and 245gr power points. I have the rear sight adjusted all the way up. And my shots are 8" low at 50yrds with 100gr of powder. I tried 50gr and my shots were about 8" high. So I tried 150gr and it shot dead on. My problem is the sight is adjusted all the way up (don't think that should be at 50yrds) and I want my son to be able to shoot the gun , so 150gr is out (little to much bang for him) and 50gr is not a legal amount to shoot deer in my state.
My question is do you think that going to a higher grain bullet will bring my shot group up, like 280gr or 300gr (since 50gr shot high).
Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks linthicum

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could play around with different weight bullets.
    What I would try first is to change the powder charge. Get some loose powder, and try 60, 70, 80, and 90 grains.
    777 is fifteen per cent more powerful than black powder, so 60 grains would be the same as 69 grains of black, which would certainly kill a deer.
    If your best results are, say, with the 70 grain charge, I would then fine tune the gun in 5 grain increments. In other words, try 65 grains, and try 75 grains.

150 grains is too much. First, it is equivalent to 172 grains of black, which is way more than any sane person would use.
    Second, when shooting 150 grains a lot of the powder is not burned anyway.
  • Options
    SlowDogSlowDog Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did find on the range that when using pyrodex pellets 100gr. in my CVA is spot on at 100 yds. When I slid in another pellet upping it to 150gr.'s my gun shot spot on at 200yds.this was using powerbelts bullets at 175gr.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like you have a front sight that is to tall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had tried every thing from 240gr to 300gr bullets and 60 to 120gr of 777. she shot consistent but about 8" low. Called CVA, and then sent them the barrel. They thought there might be a problem with the crown. They replaced the barrel. I took it to the range, same problem but only 3" low. Called them back and they said did I get the new sights with the barrel. I said no, they told me then they are on there way now. So I don't know what was wrong with the barrel. But as long as the new sights work then I am happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doe's that thing have the easy start muzzle?

If No....and you haven't cleaned it look at the muzzle, the burn pattern coming out of the muzzle should look like a star with the center cut out. if all the points of the star are equeal then the crown is fine. if one of the points is longer than the other, they are right it could be the crown.

If yes... and it isn't perfectly cut into the barrel it will play hell on the bullet as it leaves the riflings the gases will escape from one side of the bullet faster causing it to tip one way or the other as it leaves the barrel

I still think it is a sight problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know if it has a easy start muzzle. I assume it does because I use my thumb, I can push it down flat. I do use power belts, but I also have sabbots. Can't remember how easy they go in. when i shot Sat. I just used Power Belts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by linthicum
    I don't know if it has a easy start muzzle. I assume it does because I use my thumb, I can push it down flat. I do use power belts, but I also have sabbots. Can't remember how easy they go in. when i shot Sat. I just used Power Belts.

Easy start muzzle has no riflings for the first inch or so of the barrel.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Easy solution. Mount scope or red dot sight. I have one that I mounted a variable high power scope with and using 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets can shoot ou to 300 yards with accuracy, just for target shooting fun though and not hunting. I would shoot to 200 yards hunting without hesitation. These are great guns at reasonable price. I am backing down to 100 grains to reduce recoil as I recently broke my shooting shoulder when I flipped my 4 wheeler. I will lose some distance doing this but 100 grains still provides a lot of power for deer. If I was shooting a Moose or large bear I would use the 150 grains for further penetration. 100 grains, power belt and red dot scope would be good for youth shooters. The larger the bullet grain the more recoil. owen219
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by owen219
    Easy solution. Mount scope or red dot sight. I have one that I mounted a variable high power scope with and using 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets can shoot ou to 300 yards with accuracy, just for target shooting fun though and not hunting. I would shoot to 200 yards hunting without hesitation. These are great guns at reasonable price. I am backing down to 100 grains to reduce recoil as I recently broke my shooting shoulder when I flipped my 4 wheeler. I will lose some distance doing this but 100 grains still provides a lot of power for deer. If I was shooting a Moose or large bear I would use the 150 grains for further penetration. 100 grains, power belt and red dot scope would be good for youth shooters. The larger the bullet grain the more recoil. owen219

[:(] scopes of any kind power are NOT allowed if hunting here in Colorado. We can target shoot all day with them but at the end of the day they have to come off if we are to use them for hunting big game.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Problem solved, sent barrel to CVA for inspection. They sent me a new barrel within 6 days from the time I sent them mine. Slapped it on and went to the range. After adjusting the sights, every shot touches each other at 50yrds.[:D] I am very happy with there customer service.