In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dish Detergent Patch Lube?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Has anyone tried using dish detergent for patch lube. I have been told it works very well and allows multiple shots without cleaning the barrel.

Sage 1

Comments

• Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll do that whenever GE recommends Bore Butter for washing my dishes.[:)]

Just a little fun, Sage, but truthfully, I doubt the claims.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must admit I've never heard that before.

I don't think it would work well as a lube, but for cleaning just add to some hot soapy water and go for it.

Bode
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh the myth is reborn! I had heard this several years ago. I never tried it, being fond of my "seasoned" barrels, but my brother being the technology hound that he is, did try it and found it to be not true. It was no help in cleaning and shot less accurately than conventional lubes. He also found that the bore would haze or begin to rust quickly if it wasn't cleaned and re lubed the same day. On the other side of the coin, a friend used Ivory dish soap and had good results with it. Last time I spoke to him (couple years ago)he was still using it, and there were no ill affects.