In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black powder cleaning-help

efeefe Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
one of my friends, (for his 12ga shotgun) makes blackpowder himself but i have seen, after the firing there is some dregs inside the cartridge even inside the barrel a bit. because i want to make my black powder too, i wonder how can i clean this dregs, thanks

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what you mean by "dregs" but plain old dish washing detergent and hot soapy water will clean black powder residue very well. Just dry and lightly oil the barrel afterward.

Bode
  • Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winston has the cure correct, and if you are loading shot shells the same applies, de-prime the shell, soak it in hot soapy water to soften the fouling, then use a brush or swab like a plunger in the shell. ( hold the bottom of the shell in the soapy water and move the swab up and down, this will suck the water up into the shell and "flush" the fouling out.) Then set aside to dry or put them out in the sun to dry quickly. I would suggest oil for the outside of the barrel and a non petroleum lube for the bore, like Crisco or bore butter.
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    -Some caveats:

Be absolutely sure that those shell hulls are DRY DRY DRY. If it's too cold out put them in a box and turn a couple light bulbs on over them. I would not put them in the oven. This to ensure you don't have any duds or worse...hangfires.

Be careful and do not grease up the chamber(s) of your shotgun or the loaded shot shells. This may cause high pressure in your shotgun resulting in a k.a.b.o.o.m.

Do not use ANY petroleum-based products in the gun if you are firing black powder. Check the ingredients list on any commercial products you use to oil or clean the gun. Residual petroleum products will bind up with the black powder residue and turn into....asphalt. That's why it won't come out. Stay with animal or vegetable grease and oil and soap and water. By the way, it is best to use deionized or distilled water to clean the gun due to sulpher and some other naturally occuring substances in city or well water which react negatively with BP residue.