In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to BP

RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
I've been thinking about getting into the subject but can't seem to find a good starting point of reference. So, maybe you guys can give me some pointers, things like what to look for in a muzzle loader, what is out there, safety and all that. Again, I don't know anything about it except the basics.

Comments

• Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about muzzle loading black powder or cowboy action shooting black powder?

I was introduced to GunBroker through the BP forum. Lots of good info can be found here.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be glad to help you any way I can with Cowboy Action, but to be honest, I've never fired an inline or muzzleloader in my life!
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First decide what you want out of a rifle. weather it target shooting, hunting, or plinking. then we can tell you what we would look for. Just remember opinions will vary so it will take some shopping around on your part until you decide what you want.

Basically BPR's are lumped into a two basic catagories, Traditional And Modern.

There are so many different manufacture's and designs that fall under both traditional or modern it will blow your mind.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find someone who shoots blackpowder rifles and/or handguns and tag along. Watch and listen. Make sure it is someone with good sound firearms sense and safety practices. It is easier to learn while watching and/or doing than reading about it.

That said, buy a cheap sidelock percussion in .50 or .54 caliber and read the instructions then read em again until you know the steps to loading a muzzleloader before you go out.

Bode
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second what Odawgp said -- knowing your intended use for a muzzleloader will go a long way toward someone being able to offer useful advice.

Any front-loader over .45 caliber can be used effectively for whitetail deer hunting; .50 might be a better minimum caliber to consider if mulies are on the agenda; .54 if elk are a possibility (though the .50 will certainly down an elk, given that the shooter does his part in choosing and making a good shot). This is assuming traditional roundball rifles. Someone wishing higher performance and opting for an in-line rifle probably doesn't need anything bigger than one of the various .50 calibers, unless he knows that large things with sharp teeth and claws are lurking in his future.

If it's just a fun gun for plinking and maybe hunting that you're interested in, there are a variety of sidelock (more-or-less traditional) rifles available at modest prices. Used ones pop up all the time on auction sites like this. The major risk you run, buying a used muzzleloader (more so than with any other species of firearm, due to the highly corrosive nature of black powder and the residue it leaves in a fired barrel), is that it isn't always convenient to inspect the bore of a gun you're considering -- you have to either remove the barrel from the gun and pull the breechplug, or have a bore light on you -- and an uncleaned rifle that's been sitting for awhile may have a bore like a sewer pipe.

I favor sidelocks, myself, not feeling the need for performance in the class of modern centerfire rifles. However, I don't hunt at long range, as many in the midwest and west have no real choice but to do. Still, I like what I like, and especially for a basically "fun" gun I'd opt for a percussion sidelock, many makes and models of which are available from Dixie Gun Works and other distributors, and I'd buy a .50, due to its usefulness as a hunting caliber and the availability of both roundball and heavier conical bullets in most well-stocked gun stores.

That's a fairly prolonged but still general statement. Again, what you intend to do with the gun is something that will go a long way toward deciding what specific type you eventually buy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic

Are you talking about muzzle loading black powder or cowboy action shooting black powder?

Muzzle loading for now.

Thanks for the input everyone. Eventually I'd like to go hunt with it, so basically, that's the primary goal. Obviously, being new to it, I'll have to practice, probably with the same exact rifle. Well, going to the library today or tomorrow, maybe I'll pick up some books there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the number 1 goal is to expand your hunting opportunities I recommend an inline. If you are drawn to BP for its historical significance than look at traditional rifles.

I love my Encore 209x50!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the number 1 goal is to expand your hunting opportunities I recommend an inline. If you are drawn to BP for its historical significance than look at traditional rifles.

I love my Encore 209x50!

Expanding hunting opportunities right now is primary objective. I've been reading about that rifle you have, looks pretty interesting, I might have to just try that one [:D]

What about those bolt action muzzle loaders? Any pros/cons?
  • Options
    rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How far are you going to be shooting? Are you going to put the time, effort, and money into becoming proficient with an inline to be able to shoot it 150yrds?

I just got into muzzleloading this year. I bought the Cabela's .50 Hawken to hunt/shoot. Next week will be the first time I deer hunt with it. I hunt in the woods where 50 yrds is a long shot. I might be able to hit 100yrds down a logging road.

After reading many posts on this forum and others, I have decided to shoot a patched round ball. Anytime I have seen someone question the killing power of a round ball, about 30 guys jump all over it with comments like "the last 10 deer I have killed didn't care much for the round ball". I have also found the TC Maxi-hunt conicals shoot very well in my gun.

My point being don't rule out a traditional type gun. I have had a lot of fun competing at the club I belong to and shooting by myself. I am certain it will down deer out to 100yrds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

I love my Encore 209x50!

Expanding hunting opportunities right now is primary objective. I've been reading about that rifle you have, looks pretty interesting, I might have to just try that one [:D]

What about those bolt action muzzle loaders? Any pros/cons?

I have an older version of that same rifle. The reason that i pickthe Encore over a traditional was for it's versatility. It is not just a BPR and that is what i liked about it. It is a great BP rifle and fun to shoot as well as a 22-250 and 204 Ruger.

I have grown quite fond of the looks of the traditional BPR's and when the time comes and money lends itself I will own one.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As elkholic said "If the number 1 goal is to expand your hunting opportunities I recommend an inline. If you are drawn to BP for its historical significance than look at traditional rifles. I love my Encore 209x50!"

OK, hunting is your game ... I, too, would sat you should go "in-line" primarily because of their 99.9% reliability in all types of bad weather! I love my T/C Omega 50! And I find it to be a great shooter easy to scope and it has a nice feel. (The T/C lifetime warrantee is tough to beat, too!) My T/C Omega 50 in camo and SS is weather proof, but ... well, it just doesn't look like a gun, but I don't think the deer care.

The T/C Encore is certainly more versatile, but not legal everywhere, probably because of the quick switch over to center-fire calibre, which means it is no longer a muzzle loader.

If you want something that is pretty reliable and more romantic and really does look like a gun, I'd go with a Hawken. I have an Italian-made Hawken that I'm sure having fun shooting at the range, but I'm still planning to go hunting with my T/C Omega 50!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The TC Omega is probably the most bang for your buck in the in-line category. The Encore is awesome but pricey. Unless you plan on taking advantage of the barrel changing capabilities I'd go with he Omega.

quote:Originally posted by andersk

The T/C Encore is certainly more versatile, but not legal everywhere, probably because of the quick switch over to center-fire calibre, which means it is no longer a muzzle loader.

Just out of curiosity, where is the encore NOT legal for BP hunting? Colorado has some of the most stringent "traditional" hunting rules and it is legal here. Oregon (I think) is also fairly strict but I think it is legal there also. If I has to guess I would say it is prohibited in some specific hunts, perhaps in Mexico, but not limited state wide. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk

Just out of curiosity, where is the encore NOT legal for BP hunting? Colorado has some of the most stringent "traditional" hunting rules and it is legal here. Oregon (I think) is also fairly strict but I think it is legal there also. If I has to guess I would say it is prohibited in some specific hunts, perhaps in Mexico, but not limited state wide. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]

At one time up until 2001 IB.
    The Encore was illegal in Colorado. the powers to be have since come to their senses.