In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice/suggestions? first in-line What to buy?

gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
I've been using a 45 Cal Browning Mountain rifle with black powder and buffalo bullets (just switched to Pyrodex last year!)for the past 15 years or so and am thinking of modernizing and going in-line. Pellets, sabots, 209 ignition, the works!! A little more consistency and ease is looking very tempting. What are you using? Would you buy another one? why? why not? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the money might I suggest an Encore One of the most versitile guns ever built.. the reason being is that you have one BP only gun. Savage makes a Muzzle loader that burns smokeless powder. which I have heard good things about but it is still just a muzzle loader. Knight is now making an encore "like" rifle that is sold as a muzzle loader with additional available for seperate purchase. ADDED T/C Omega is a great value. Also check hunting regs where you live to seen if the Encore/Knight rifles are legal. in some state the savage smokless powder rifles are not allowed ie. colorado being one of them

Here is my Encore with 204 ruger barrel on, And 22-250, 209x50 below.
    IMG_1102.jpg
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Almost any of the newer versions from any of the major manufacturers will get you where you want to be. Find one that appeals to you (some of them are just plain ugly in my book) and go for it. Just so you know, don't expect to see a great improvement in accuracy from an inline over your caplock. Some of the new ones are capable of good accuracy, but you have to remember that they are still muzzleloaders. It chaps my butt when I hear people complain about the fact that they bought a $600 muzzleloader and are upset because the best that it will shoot is 2.5" groups at 100 yards. Sorry for that mini-rant.
    All that being said, I will agree with Odawgp that the Encore is probably the most versitle of the bunch, but it is considered a firearm, so you can't get it mail order without an FFL. The rest you can order and avoid the sales tax (maybe).
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For in-lines the T/C Omega 50 is the way to go ... if you ask me.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson, Knight, and CVA.

FWIW, I love my CVA Optima
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.