In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need hunting loads for 66 uberti 45 colt rifle.

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
need hunting loads for a 66 uberti rifle in 45 colt. can i safely get 1100-1200 fps with a 250gr. jacketed bullet, thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my LYman's no.47 you can.
    a max load of 2400 powder..17.5 grains gives 1236fps in a 16" rifle barrel.minimum is 15.2 @1054 fps.
    what powders do you have on hand,btw? won't do any good to quote loads now knowing what we're working with.
    fyI, Unique won't do it.Not in this book anyway.

BE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECH THESE LOADS ON THE POWDER MAKER'S WEB SITE OR ANOTHER BOOK.NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPO'S OR MIS INFORMATION.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a ruger blackhawk in 45 lone colt and use win 296 in it,but its alot stronger than the repo 66 uberti. i would like to load the 225 or 250 hornady HP,s to at least 1100-1200 fps for short range deer hunting out to 75 yds. the hornady,s open up at 1100-1200 out of the ruger revolver. the powder is no problem,i have quite alot. i just don,t want to mess up the uberti with a over load. thanks, eastbank.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are lots of loading manuals available - All the powder companies have on line data too - you don't really want to cook up a strangers load and shoot it do you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i load a very light load now, but i would like to try a heavier load for close range deer,225-250gr in the 1100-1200 fps range. i was hoping some one had a load they used in a 66 uberti repo that was safe in their rifle. i load for a ruger blackhawk revolver and can realy improve the balistic,s with heavy loads using win.296 ball powder.but i don,t want to use them as the are to hot for the 66 uberti. the loads i shoot in the 66 uberti are a cast bullet at 900 fps, after digging them up after firing them they show very little to no expanstion. thanks.eastbank.