In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flintlock Stock's

joe922joe922 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I'm currently planing to have two Flintlock's built by one of the premiere gunsmiths in Pa, Federal gun shoppe in Gap Pa. My question is would American Chestnut be a good choice I have access to wood that's over 100 yrs old,And has been care for stacked in a warehouse.I know about curly maple and the other fancy wood's but if chestnut is a good choice I think wood as old as the time frame of these gun's only adds to there beauty and historic connection to the Berks-York and Lancaster area's where these Gun's became so famous.
Can any one give me knowledgeable advice about subject Thanks joe922

Comments

• Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In "Weapons Of The American Revolution" by (I think....) George Neumann, there is a Revolutionary-vintage rifle stocked in chestnut, so from an authenticity standpoint there wouldn't be a problem. You would have what would have been a rare rifle, even in those days -- but unique. So far as the wood's suitability as a gunstock -- there isn't enough of it left, or used, these days, to say one way or another. Most any hard wood can be (and has been) used for the purpose, through the centuries, so there's no "magic" formula that only a select few wood species adhere to, in terms of what makes a proper stock. Some, such as oak, are acidic; others (oak again) have a tendency to split under stress; others are too soft, too brittle, or too something-or-another to be ideal, but practically all the hardwood species you can name, and a few softwoods, have been used. Some are just better-suited than others. Chestnut was certainly popular for fine furniture that has endured the centuries, and, like I said before, is definitely an authentic wood in terms of being used in the time and place -- so I'd say go for it.

FWIW, I've built several dozen muzzleloaders of early American pattern -- most Lancasters -- so I do have a small amount of specific experience in this area. I myself would be delighted with the idea of a project of the sort you're considering.