In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need some selling help

laocmolaocmo Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I find myself with a small collection of Black Box Colt 2nd Generation black powder, new in the box, cap and ball revolvers to dispose of. I'm told these are circa 1980.

COLT 1848 1ST DRAGOON .44 cal
COLT 1861 NAVY .36 cal
COLT 1862 POCKET NAVY .36 cal
COLT 1862 POCKET POLICE .36 cal

I am considering the on-line auctions, local auction houses, distant auction houses. I've been warned that these are more popular in certain parts of the country and that I might get hurt selling them in the wrong location. Also I can't find a clear explanation as to whether it is legal to ship these, or by what carrier, and at what cost. I have an old Colt catalog that advertises they can be shipped without hassle since they are cap and ball repro-antiques but does not provide the details.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Auction them off right here on gunbroker and you will be showing them to the entire country, thus you are assured of getting a good price.
    These cap and ball pistols are legally considered "muzzleloaders," and by federal law can be shipped across state lines with no restriction.
    But, there are some local laws that do restrict shipping of these guns.
    New Jersey restricts them, I believe that Illinois does also, as well as Washington DC.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would advise staying away from local auction houses, with the exception of ones that have a proven venue in that type of gun. There are some houses that do very well with black powder and Colt in particular. Another option is to check with a few local gun shops to see if there may be a collector in your area that is interested in your Colts. Your best bet is as Allen said, here on gun broker or {elsewhere}. You are showing them to the entire country and you have the most control over the selling price. Do some research and set your starting price or reserve at what you are willing to let them go at, and fire away. As for shipping, black powder guns can be shipped by USPS, FedEx, DHL, ect to any location in the US except D.C.(that may have changed), New York City, Detroit, and some areas in Ill. and Ca. Find a FFL dealer near you and get the latest details.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as a suggetion look at Cableas. The list all the restrictions for shipping these. An FFL would be better for precise answer but if you don't have one close.
  • Options
    laocmolaocmo Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for your good advice. I will be listing the Colts on GunBroker. See:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86256141

for an example, and thanks for any interest you might have. Once again, I find that you gun folks, just like my Dad was, are as a rule, very nice people and quick to offer good honest advice to uninformed folks like me.

Larry
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a well-done ad. Good luck!
    I will post it over on the General Discussion forum for you.
  • Options
    LEE3370LEE3370 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am spreading the link to other forums.
    Blue book says between $450 and $650 but it will bring what someone is willing to pay for it.