In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Model 10ML II 50 opinions please

cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
I am looking into getting one and would like to hear the pros and cons of those who have one or who have shot one. Allen Griggs, I look forward to your in sight.

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would first check your local hunting reg's, only if you ever plan on using this for hunting. some states do not allow smokeless propelants. ie. colorado being one of those state.

I have heard many good things about them and very few, if any bad.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a very accurate rifle. Right out of the box, I was getting 1 1/2 inch groups.
    It is great to have a rifle that you don't have to clean every time you shoot.
    It hits deer harder than any other rifle I have used. Puts the 30-06 to shame as far as knock down power.
    I give the Savage two thumbs up.
  • Options
    cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's use is permitted in Ohio. And thanks for the input Allen. What loads are being used? I have heard the Shockwave and PR bullets (I think) are beign used successfully.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are lots of loads being used. Then, too, there are lots of loads not being used. The Savage is finicky.
    A tried and true load is the Hornady 250 XTP and 43 grains of 5744.
    I use that slug, as well as the 250 SST. I use 43 grains of VihtaVouri N110, another classic Savage powder.
    The Shockwave and the SST are identical. Both are made by Hornady, one has a yellow tip, the other has a red tip.

These guys really know their stuff about the Savage:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do buy this gun use only winchester 209 primers. I bought this gun this year and had problems at first with the bolt being very difficult to open with Remington 209 primers, but switched to winchester primers with the advice of Allen Griggs and I have no problems. Excellent gun I will update to smokeless next year as for now still using two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets, very accurate, great groups with this load, just can't wait to go smokeless next year and see what all the hype is about. Good luck, you won't go wrong with this gun no matter what type powder you use. DO NOT USE REMINGTON 209 PRIMERS IN THIS GUN!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gun is simply awesome. Agree with the 250 grain XTPs and SSTs - had very good luck with both. Also, using 4759 powder with good results. From what I've Heard, you probably want to avoid the shockwaves - the sabots that come with them are too small and don't provide a tight enough fit in the Savage - nothing wrong with the bullets though.

Just a side note, my 9 year old began hunting with the this year using my Knight Woverine and 60 grains of 777. It works fine for him but using this gun again fully brings back all of the frustration with not using smokeless powder - what a pain.