In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

uberti

lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
anyone have any ubertis?

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/large/cattlemanHombreNMBlue475.jpg

I just got one of these last week and I do have to say i love it :D

I am looking for all around feed back and all that fun :D

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a nickel plated sixgun, .45colt,that I use for cas shoots.It's about 10 years old and still fucntions and shoots great.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have got 3 to 4 uberti for what a colt would cost & have not had a bad one yet....now i don't know if the resale of these will be comparable to the colt later but i am doing this for fun not investment...consider too that some of the powder models can get centerfire cylinders so you can have old time look with modern shell convenience....have fun
  • Options
    Wayne the ShrinkWayne the Shrink Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Colt sold the gauges and machinery for the Cap and Ball and 1873 revolvers - thinking they wouldn't make them any more - Uberti bought it all! If you get a Colt 1873 or a Colt C&B it was made by Uberti and finished and marked by Colt. I have two Cattlemen in 44-40, a 7.5" and a 4 3/4" Bird's Head grip and a 1873 Short Rifle to boot. I shoot them with Goex FFFg and the MAV 200gr cast bullet, getting 950fps out of the 7.5" and 1100fps out of the short rifle (20" barrel). Not too shabby and they do attract some attention at the range.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife has one & she likes it. I've shot it some & I think it shoots fine. Mine is a Baretta stampede, & the Uberti is easier for her to load & unload.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    -I have a Uberti reproduction of a Winchester Model 1873 lever action rifle in .357 Magnum. It is a very nice gun and the accuracy is pretty much dead on. I like it a lot. Two of the bigger Uberti distributers, Taylors and Cimmeron, are selling their own versions of the various Colt and Winchester clones (special length barrels, deluxe metal finishing, etc.)

You really cannot, in my opinion buy a better mid-range-priced production gun clone of the Colt SAA than the Uberti. Many CAS shooters put literally thousands of rounds through their Ubertis in a year. Far more than Colt ever imagined in 1873, and the guns keep on ticking.

Of course, there are US producers of premium clones of the Colt SAA, and I'm sure theirs are fine, too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    --
    -By the way, Beretta owns Uberti. I am pretty sure that the Beretta Stampede is produced in the Uberti shop.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti makes some fine guns. I believe they're as good as ANY modern Colt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    --
    -I agree that the Uberti Colt SAA clones are fine, well-made guns.

Years back, many of Uberti's competitors produced substandard guns, but even most of them still shoot okay with a little work. Today, people confuse a lot of those with Uberti guns.

Uberti (a Beretta subsidiary company) has continually upgraded their manufacturing processes and you can consider a Uberti SAA Colt, or a Uberti Winchester clone to be sound and well-made. From my experience, be sure that the gun you purchase comes from Taylor's or Cimmaron and NO OTHER DISTRIBUTER. Literally thousands of CAS shooters put several thousand rounds each year through their Uberti SAA Colt clones and Uberti various model Winchester clones.

I believe however, that the very BEST Colt SAA made today, whether it is an original Colt or a clone, comes from United States Firearms Company (USFA). Their website is: http://www.usfirearms.com/

Heck, USFA's manufacturing facility is even in the old Colt Hartford, Connecticut facility. Check out their website.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolf.
    --Heck, USFA's manufacturing facility is even in the old Colt Hartford, Connecticut facility. Check out their website.
    Actually, they aren't although they were several years back. The Colt plant is apparently being refurbished for historic preservation but USFA is still in Hartford, Ct., a few miles from "The Colt Dome". USFA's slogan used to be "Built under the Colt dome" but now it would look silly saying "Built NEAR the Colt dome".
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i shoot three uberti,s. a single action .45, and a 1866 sporting rifle in .45 and a 1873 rifle in .45 and it,s true they are not colt,s or winchesters and i do not shoot them as much as the cowboys do, but i still put a couple hundred rounds a month thru them. all the same load, 225gr. lead at around 900fps. and they have not given me one bit of trouble. and i have spent less than 2000.00 for all three, if i had three old colts or winchesters in new con. i would not fire them,i would just look at them as they went up in value. eastbank.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    lynx.
    I paid $199.00 for my first Uberti (a Millenium from Cabalas). I bought it for a wall decoration.
    I put a few hundred rounds through it before the hand spring failed and Cabelas sent me a replacement (I also bought a spare).
    I have run many more hundreds of rounds through it and I still have the spare in my cabinet.
    I've done a little tuning to it and it will consistently fire 2" groups from 25 yards.
    Since I reload my own ammo and it costs me a little over 11 cents to reload a .45 Colt case, I figure I can put about 8,000 more rounds through this gun to come up even with if I had bought a Colt and run a few boxes of ammo through it.
    I guess I can be considered a "wannabe cowboy" as I have a ranch with a few horses and some cattle but we like to plink and that's what the guns are for.
    IMHO a Seico may not be a Rolex but you'll still know what time it is.
    I also have an Uberti Regulator and an Uberti 1860 Henry rifle (both in .45 Colt) and have lots of fun shooting "wannabe" Cowboy Action style.
    Enjoy your Cattleman and don't let the zealots get to you.
  • Options
    helicopter_pilothelicopter_pilot Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first Uberti 1851 Navy from Pony Express in Van Nuys, CA. Very nice, and stamped 'Uberti' on top of the barrel. I wanted another, so I bought one from Dixie. (This would have been in the early-'90s.) That one was stamped 'Dixie Gun Works'. I would have prefered 'Uberti'. The cylinder on the Dixie Uberti wouldn't turn. It was as if it was not milled true. I got a replacement, and it turns just fine. Only where you can slip the 'Uberti' cylinder right off when you remove the barrel, the 'Dixie' hangs up. I think the 'axle' (or whatever it's called) isn't true. Also, if you look at it, the barrel seems to point ever so slightly to the right. And the trigger was a little short. If I twirl the 'Uberti', it's nice and smooth. Doing the same with the 'Dixie' Uberti scratched my finger. I bought and installed a new trigger, and it's much better. The Dixie Uberti shoots just fine. I hit what I point at.

But I had a sneaking suspicion that Dixie (and by extension, other resellers) got 'factory seconds', and that the good ones went to gun shops. I ordered five or six Colts directly from Uberti seven or eight years ago, and all of them are just as nicely fitted and finished as the first one. (I've recently been told by Uberti USA that they don't sell to the public and never have. Heh. I have the receipts!)

Has anyone had any quality issues with Ubertis bought from Dixie or any other reseller?
  • Options
    a1cwboya1cwboy Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have uberti and it is as good a gun as any, the only real differance i have seen is in the craftsmanship. performance is great, but for instance on my pistol the time wasnt taken to properly fit the grips to the frame so there is a lip along the backside of the grip, this will in no way effect the performance but you get what you pay for, personally i can save the money and fit the grips myself.
  • Options
    sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 3 Uberti Colts: Walker, 1849 Pocket and 2nd model Dragoon.
    All are beautiful and function perfectly. I've also got a couple
    Pieta's. AIN'T no comparison.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the last 15 or so years of Cowboy shooting, I've owned enough different guns to open my own store! [:p] That includes Ruger, Colt, Uberti and Pietta...and I've seen quality control issues with all of them.

My replica Henry and 73 are both Ubertis, and function beautifully. The current stable of pistols are all Piettas. Nickle/ivory grip Great Western II 45's, 36 and 44 1858 Remmies, and a 51 Navy in 36cal. I have zero problem with any of them.

This ain't a rant or a flame at anybody...just fact and personal experience. Your mileage may vary! [:D] [;)]
  • Options
    44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The vast majority of the Uberti`s are very well made revolvers and will give years of service. However, a number of years ago Cabela`s ordered a mess of Uberti muzzle-loaders and a few cartridge revolvers. They were all seconds and guns with problems. Cabela`s also beat upon Uberti as far as price and offered next to nothing for their guns. Well, that is what they got---next to nothing. Cabela`s thought they would make a killing with them and in the long run hurt themselves real bad and drug down the Uberti name. Since them Uberti will not sell any low rate guns to Cabela`s and have brought up their standard. My info came direct from a Uberti salesman because, I was stupid enough to buy somethng from Cabela`s. Now, Uberti is ,as far as I am concerned, the top mfg in the replica guns.