In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plating Ubertis

helicopter_pilothelicopter_pilot Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been about 15 years since I bought my first black powder pistols -- Uberti 1851 Navies. I noticed that original Colts had silver-plated backstraps and trigger guards, so I had mine silver plated. Did the same to a third one, too. I like the way they look. They 'match' the 2nd and 3rd Generation Colts I got later.

Has anyone else done this?

Comments

• Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    I have not silver plated the backstraps of my .36 caliber Navy revolvers. I think it would look good, though.

When Colt started producing the 1851 Navy for the civilian market, the backstraps for these guns not intended for military use were silver plated.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a pair of 51's in 44cal from Cabelas a few years ago they call the Civilian Model. They're exactly what you're describing, made by Pietta.

Great shooters, and they still list them.
  • Options
    helicopter_pilothelicopter_pilot Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strangely, I don't have a bunch of photos of my BP collection. The only one I have is basically a comparison of a 15gr and 50gr combustible cartridge, with an Uberti Walker and my first Uberti Navy to illustrate size. The emphasis was not on the silver plating, but you can sort of see it:

walkernavy.jpg
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago I bought a Lyman 1860 Colt with silver plated grip frame. I'll have to dig it out and see if there is a mfr's mark. Emery