In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First CAS shoot

divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
I just shot my first CAS shoot last saturday. I'm a new comer that
has wanted to do this since I heard about it a long time ago.
Have most of the weapons but need the second pistol. Haven't made
my mind up on what caliber. I know that it is better to shoot the
same but it's also fun to shoot all calibers. Any suggestions on
the second gun, 38, 44, 45LC. Maker? I shoot a Blackhawk (old model)
in .357 mag. winchester 94 in 44 mag and a stevens double barrel 12ga. had a ball and it was more than I expected. The people were the friendliest I have met in a long time. Total strangers handing me their guns and telling me to try this. Can't wait to go back.

Comments

• Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOu'll find the welcome mat out and the same kind of friendly Pards at most any cas shoot.
    I would advise you NOT shoot ammo that is too close in size to get confusing at the loading table.ie: 45 colt and .44 mag./special.
    Depending on your age the Blackhawk will limit the catagories you can shoot in,because of the adj. sights.
    Glad ya had a good time!!
  • Options
    divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing. I will probably
    go with another 357 mag. and keep the 44 mag winchester.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being something of atraditional I always prefered big bore calibers for CAs events. I started with a .44 Special revolver and a .44 Mag Win M94 but the rifle wouldn't feed the short Special ammo. So then I bought a set of SAA clones in .45 Colt and Model 92 clone in the same caliber.

The serious competitors often use the .38 Special for the lighter recoil but I was never a serious competitor. For the second revolver you could consider the traditional .45 Colt or even the .44-40. Or you could get another Ruger in .4 Mag so that one pistol shares ammo with the carbine.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy:It's less complicated to have both pistols the same size ,weight and trigger pull.the feel will be the same and you won't have to think about compensating for any difference or confusion about ammo.