In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun for cowboy action

twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
Howdy:Just got back from the vegas shoot.new to cas.I have 2 stampedes and a 66 45 lc.I need to get a shotgun now.I shoot left handed and would like to get a 93 iac.Is that a good choice?Are all shotgun stages ..load 2 shoot 2.reload etc.Also how are they choked.THanks

Comments

• Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with the shotgun you mentioned. If it's an old Marlin mod 93, pass on it...they aren't SASS legal, ruled unsafe.

If you plan on shooting in the black powder catagories you can forget a 97(pump)also, and stick with the good ole double-barrel or an 87 (lever).

Some guys will cut the pipe on a 97 and have a full choke installed. I just don't see the point in chopping an original when you can buy a Norinco that's already short enough for our distances.

Since I shoot BP, I use either a Stoeger or Norinco double. Both have the cylinders honed so the empties fly out when you snap it open.

Welcome to the fun and prepare to spend money! [:D]
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most stages for the shotgun are load two shoot two. But some stages will require 6 or even 8 rounds. Some will even let you stoke the 97's with four or five rounds and fire away. The shotgun you mention is a good one for the game. The 93's, I believe, have an opened ejection port and maybe a couple other less obvious differences. The Norinco 97's are good and less than a used Winchester and you can get parts for them. I like mine, kinda stiff at first, but seems to be smoothing up as I shoot. Only problem is since I went to 12 hours shifts I work every weekend that the local club shoots. I've lost touch with my shooting buddies and now they don't even call me anymore. Sucks to be shut off from doing what you love.

Bode