In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whatever happened to flintlocks?

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Today I was watching Guns&Ammo TV and I saw a commercial for a in-line muzzleloader, it had a (get this) electronic ignition instead of a 209 primer...they claimed it was faster ignition (can a human tell? I think not) Then they said you didnt need to be fumble with primers and it was the new hot thing....that right there defeats the perpose of muzzleloading. Its supposed to be primitive not some hightech thing that has centerfire preformance...Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the hell if i now, i like in line's but that dam thing sucks

[urlhttp://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=255902[/url]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I give. What is the purpose of Muzzleloader hunting but to put meat on the table (in the freezer)?

Primitive you say? Why not demand that ML hunters only use a Matchlock, that should be "primitive" enough for everyone.

All that electronic ignition does is provide a faster lock time between trigger pull (squeeze) and ignition. This decrease in time will (perhaps) allow for more accurate shot placement. It's a hunters responsibility to take the game as quickly and cleanly as possible, right?
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunted with rifles in Canada for 27 years, but down here in Massachusetts I had to go primitive. So I got an Omega 50 nice shooting gun, but it just doesn't look like a gun - camo & Stainless Steel [:(][:(] ... so I am now shooting an Italian made Hawken with percussion caps - plenty primitive for me! Now to get a deer or two this winter![:D][:D]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key to my wheelock dropped in the snow as the Russian boar charged my horse. A matchlock would have spooked him as he was downwind and the always burning fuse fumes would have spooked him.
    Good thing I had my snaphance in a saddle socket.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally prefer side locks, either percussion or flint, but I don't always use them. If I could use my 30-30 all year, I'd probably use it. I like wild meat, and however I can shoot it legally is acceptable to me.

iceracerx has a valid point. I expect ole Crockett and Dan'l Boone used the most modern gun they could afford. I see no reason not to do the same now. However I have a brother who prefers percussion rifles to the point that he uses nothing else, even during the regular gun season. I don't see anything wrong with that either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like ... to each his own ... is the word for the day. I guess as long as it is legal and ethical, why not.

Speaking of fumbling with primers ... been there done that! But I am going to stick with it! It's all part of the BP thing ... it's a tinkerers sport!
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic has gotten very, very ugly on at least one other forum in which I participated for a couple of years. Invariably, and needlessly, it seems to lead to suggestions of banning this, prohibiting that, in the name of "purity" or some similar abstract concept that would be impossible to clearly define, or fairly and effectively legislate. And that's where this topic outlives any usefulness it might have, to us as shooters -- when we start making noises about legislating against any form of firearm, for any purpose whatsoever. We have a whole pack of rabid anti-gunners constantly at our heels. We don't need to do their work for them.

That said -- in a recent issue of "Fur, Fish, and Game", Toby Bridges managed to include, in an article about in-lines, a question as to whether or not the .45 caliber roundball -- or any roundball -- should be legal for deer hunting. The fact of being a lifelong gun owner, originally from California, makes me a bit paranoid about anyone, anywhere, any time, in any way raising the question of what firearms or ammunition should or should not be legal. If, as in my paranoia I suspect might be the case, this was an opening shot in a campaign by one or another manufacturer of "modern" muzzleloaders to broaden their market by eliminating the "inefficient, underpowered" roundball and by extension the rifles that fire it (all in the name of hunting ethics -- more terminal ballistics, cleaner kills, etc. and b.s.), my counter-suggestion will be, not to ban any form of gun at all for hunting purposes, here in Indiana, but to open the muzzleloading season to all firearms that can be legally used for deer hunting in this state. Be interesting to see how many of the guys who use in-lines for the sake of that extra season would switch over to their shotguns if given the chance -- and what effect that would have on in-line sales. Us traditionalists would go on using our roundball-slinging sidelocks. We were never in this for an extra season or to wring "modern" ballistics from "primitive" firearms.

"Live and let live" has already been stated. I request the same. I have no desire to mock, belittle, or ban either what you shoot or your point of view. This would be the case whether I shot an in-line or my .50 flinter. We have enemies enough without becoming enemies to one another.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree mongrel, but no problem here. We can discuss, and even disagree, without getting nasty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oldgunner --

Obviously, I'm new here. The previous forum I participated in had to completely ban the discussion of in-lines, the topic set so many people off. I found out the hard way that being open-minded and aware that we actually live in the year 2007, and not 1807, did not sit well with a number of those same people. I realized I had better things to do than get sucked into arguments with them. On one hand I was reluctant to even comment on the original topic of this thread; but, on the other hand, if what you say is true (and, viewing posts on other topics, it appears to be), and polite discussion is the norm here, then I'm glad I checked in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, this is a good forum here. Not very active, but always informative and friendly.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    mongrel - I did not read the Toby Bridges article, but he may want to look at the statistics of how many deer (and people) have been killed using the .45 caliber round ball or even the .36 caliber round ball[:0] before making statements like that.
    As for in-lines versus sidelocks, I have both, use both and love both. My caplock is very special to me as it was built from a kit by my father and carried by him at many rendezvous and every year during muzzleloader season. It passed to me when he passed away and I make it a point to take it out every year. So far I have been able to take a deer with it every year since he passed (8 years so far).
    I also have an Encore inline. As you can see from my screen name that I hunt with handguns. I have not taken my rifles hunting but twice in the last five years. I use my Encore during the regular rifle season when I plan on hunting somewhere where I may get a shot longer than I feel comfortable shooting with my handguns. Now that I have a couple of legitimate 200 yard handguns, my inline won't see much use either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Getting away from debating the merits of this, that, or the other ignition system -- I wonder if (assuming anyone's worried about this blackpowder ray gun) there's any need to give it a second thought, other than as a topic of curiosity. Electronic ignition and similar novelties/"improvements" have been tried before. The guns so equipped are (so far as I'm aware) all now collector's items.

Historically, major changes in weapons systems have only succeeded where they addressed and solved an acknowledged problem with the existing technology -- and, even then, changes were often resisted, sometimes to the point of absurdity.

The bow and arrow did away with the limitations of throwing stuff by hand. Hand cannons and then matchlocks had advantages over bows, though not to a sufficient degree to do away with the older weapon (as a 20th/21st century person, I must be vastly undervaluing the sheer shock effect of the earliest firearms, because they seem far too slow and inaccurate to have ever held their own with bows and those who could use them). The wheellock did away with much of the unreliability and danger inherent in even the best of matchlock mechanisms. Flintlocks, and by that I mean also miquelets, snaphaunces, and other forerunners of the "true" flintlock, offered a degree of reliability that surprises many modern shooters, at a fraction of the cost and complication of the wheellock design. Percussion guns eliminated much of the remaining iffiness of ignition that flintlocks were prone to if maintenance were neglected or the weather turned wet. The metallic cartridge eliminated numerous steps from the process of loading and firing, as well as almost all vulnerability to the weather. The advantages of repeaters over single-shots (in situations where needing more than one shot is a given, and time to spare between shots is usually lacking) are fairly obvious; and, finally, smokeless powder made possible a degree of precision and power, on a routine basis, that even the best BP cartridges historically haven't approached.

Rather than ask what the benefits of electronic ignition might be, my question is, what glaringly obvious problems in existing firearms are solved by this previously-tried, previously-failed system? Lacking an answer to that question, in the minds of consumers (whose purchasing power is what will ultimately make or break any product), electronic ignition would appear not to have much of a future. The issue isn't whether or not it works, or even works better, but that what we have works fine and, just as importantly, is familiar to us.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mongrel, once again we agree. I doubt the electronic ignition rifle will amount to anything. It looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post. I'm afraid I got a little ticked and left a post on another thread on this same subject. I agree live and let live as long as others safety isn't compromised and we can maintain huntable numbers of game. If new technology gets someones interest and they join the hunters ranks then we have a new ally, who will hopefully vote in huntings favor. I'm glad some can see this.

Personally I have a sidelock and an in line. If I ever get to where I actually have the time I may try a flintlock for the hobby of it. However I like to hunt and usually just use muzzle loaders as an excuse to extend my season. I'm all for the purist who enjoy what they do, as stated I may join them if I ever have the time to devote to it. I personally will help promote any safe concept that will add to our ranks to help promote the future of hunting.

Scout
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic has been recycled in one form or another over at least the years I have been around the board. My personal preference runs to percussion rifles, and that is not primitive enough for some. As far as I can tell, most of us think what we like/shoot should be the gold standard. I also shot an in-line, it is certainly lighter and easier to carry when I am going for meat and not playing mountain man. The bottom line is that they shoot black powder so there is really not a lot of difference in getting the bullet/ball to the deer. To each their own, and good shooting to us all.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Gunz PLEASE keep ranting! Yes the new CVA is scary to me, and slap in the face to muzzleloading in general ( my opinion), The "spirit of the muzzleloader" is all but dead in today's retail market. Even on a recent tour of the Thompson Center factory, I saw no new traditional smoke poles in the works, and only the Hawken on the slate for production. In there factory store there were 50 or 60 in-lines on the rack and 2 sidelocks tucked in the corner. Even though I was impressed with the new Triumph, and was "forced" to buy one, It will not get the use like my sidelocks. I don't find the same thrill and challenge in throwing a couple pellets and a sabot down the barrel as I do shooting a patched ball from a flintlock. The argument is that in-line and 209 primers and sabots are more accurate, more dependable and much safer, and shoot at a much higher velocity. All true. But to me, that is NOT what it is all about. Building and or maintaining a rifle or pistol, measuring and loading powder, loading a ball or miniball that you cast the night before, with a patch you cut from old pillow cases, seating it just the same every time. testing your loads, bullets and loading at the range for that 1 inch group, so you can get the kill shot in the field. Seasoning the barrel, cleaning, repairing, refinishing. It is allot of work and not for everyone, ( I had to snicker the other day watching a "hunting show" with a bunch of guys riding around in a Suburban with gunrests attached to the doors and shooting at elk without even getting there boots dirty) I wouldn't trade all the mess and trouble for anything. I get a great deal of satisfaction from it all. I have never needed anything more than my .45 Seneca to drop a deer out to 110 yards, and have only had 2 miss fires in 18 hunting seasons. I have hunted and dropped everything from squirrels to waterfowl to moose with both muzzleloaders and cartage rifle/ shotgun, and I still look back on the muzzy hunts as being the most challenging and rewarding. In-lines have there place in the modern world of instant gratification and point and click ease, and are here to stay. All things must change, but I enjoy the history, tradition and mystique of the "old sidelock". Think about it, the terms " flash in the pan", " going off half cocked", "hang fire"and "spitball" are all phrases we have heard from our childhood and have been embedded in our language for centuries. All these terms in one form or another came from muzzleloaders. I have shot muzzys for more than 25 years and enjoy all aspects of the sport. I even enjoy the two in-lines I have, after all it is still a muzzleloader....OK rant suspended..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thismust be an old post. This is what I said last year ... now I'm right where I was ... just a year later!

I hunted with rifles in Canada for 27 years, but down here in Massachusetts I had to go primitive. So I got a T/C Omega 50 nice shooting gun, but it just doesn't look like a gun - dressed in camo & Stainless Steel ... so I am now shooting an Italian made Hawken with percussion caps - plenty primitive for me! Now to get a deer or two THIS winter!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, I was over at the range today - more practicing - and while shooting the breeze with the boys, I heard a story from one of the guys. He was out in the woods with a deer 80 yards in front of him. It even came 60 yards closer when the flash-in-the pan first occured and no shot ... I guess that curiosity got to the deer, "why no bang?" My friend was using a flintlock ... things can/will go wrong just trying to get a shot off ... and everything went wrong because of a big snow flake falling into the flash pan. (Our season is in December.)

I'm sticking with my in-line for hunting and maybe on really good weather days, I may take my Percussion Cap Hawken. But today at the range I forgot to put in the black stuff again ... I am getting better at pulling the ball! Practice is a good deal ... actually, it is essential![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No not an old post, just an old topic. Keeping with the theme of in - line vs. traditional or primitive, the inlines are far less likely to misfire or hangfire, simply due to the design. The charge is directly in front of the primer. sort of hard not to fire unless you use the gun as a canoe paddle or such. But the same dangers hold true in all muzzys. If you don't practice to the point of loading becoming second nature, and fallow even the most basic safety protocol doo doo will occur. I had an incident very early on in my muzzleloading days that taught me all i needed to know about misfires and dangers involved in the sport. While at the range I forgot the powder, well that was a great topic for the others at the range that day to razz me mercilessly, and question the depth of my gene pool. Needles to say that was the last time I did that. And only minutes later another person at the range was chatting and loading his civil war era musket and had not swabbed the barrel. that little laps in judgment cost him half a thumb and index finger and 70% of the sight in his right eye. Getting back to inlines, safety is the key element to all guns and even more so with muzzys. Far too many people pull out the muzzleloader once a year and traipse off into the woods with it and wonder why the have problems. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't go camping without setting up the tent once or twice, or go out fishing without checking out the engine and boat. And certainly wouldn't take a firearm out hunting that I hadn't become intimate with. I have yet to hunt with an inline, this year will be the first with the TC Triumph. I will see if it gives the same "thrill of the hunt" as my Seneca or PA Hunter flintlock. As for keeping misfires to a minamum I took some lessons from the hunters of the 1700s and 1800s that were not out there for sport,( back then you have a hang or misfire and your family didn't eat) They used all manor of ways to cover the lock and pan on a flintlock, from leather to oil cloth. And even went so far as to cover the end of the barrel with a brass cap. (very Dangerous if you forget it's there) On the flintlock I use a leather "sock" for lack of a better word, that allows the lock to function but keeps the snow, dew, rain, dog drool out of the pan and keeps the frizzen dry. On the caplock I keep a spent .22 short shell over the nipple, held by the hammer. As soon as you cock the hammer the shell falls off and the #11 can be put on. Takes a few extra seconds but has worked great for me. and I always check to see if the bullet is still seated properly after charging around in the wood. Is it more work an hassle than an inline or the new electric ignition, YEP! but the way I see it if I want to play I gotta pay, and if it is worth doing it's worth the effort. ( my god I've turned into my Dad)[:0]
  • Options
    408408 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a old flintlocker from Pa..Back when a round ball flintlock muzzle stuffer was all you could use. There was a rule of thumb. Two balls are better than one! Stack um and wack um. Ah the good ol days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had heard of the double ball shot but never met anyone who had done it, Please tell me more.... would like to give it a try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Underdog, don't believe I'd try that in a rifled barrel, probably would be fun in a musket, but you wouldn't hit much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have heard of the double ball load for years, and seen some loads in the past that look like a set of dumbells, hooked together with a short iron bar or loaded loose (not joined). Never have seen one shot or spoken to anyone who shot one. but have heard they shoot well at short to med range.
  • Options
    408408 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way we did it was to loose patch( But not real loose.) one ball on top of the other in a rifled long gun. I used a CVA big bore mountain rifle in 58cal.. The thing that you need to know first is the most efficient charge that the rifle needs to shoot a single ball load clean and clear. We did this over snow. Massive charges in a short barreled black powder guns are just a big waste of powder. And you will see unburnt powder peppered all over the snow. After you know what load your gun likes we would decrease the load by 20% and then double ball. Then we would test fire the guns at least 3 times by wedging it in a old tire and lanyard fire it from a distance just to be on the safe side! Worked out to be around 60gr of FF in my 58cal.. The balls would hit about 2'' apart at 50 yards. That would always make us wonder what ball made what hole? And you will feel a difference in recoil! We never had any problems doing it this way and we are all still around 25 years after the fact. And getting older by the minute. But as always. Try this at your own risk. Thanks
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw the CVA at The Show Show. Impressed w/the technology, but not the reason for it.

Why I like flintlock muzzle loading!

Before legally being able to hunt at 12 years old, I have always been on the edge of technology. Thinking that them dirty, stinky rotten egg fart smelling, inaccurate smokepoles were for the 'older hunters', and the guys who didn't care to take the time to learn modern ballistics.....till three years ago.

#1. Friendship.
    One of my friends who a sports writer took me out on a really cold, post rainy windy day before Christmas, taught me how to load and fire a flintlock....which started to get me hooked. Bought a cheap flintlock (remember I modern so it had a synthetic stock) just in case I didn't like muzzleloading.

#2. Joy of learning something new.

#3. Joy of experimenting. Being a newbie w/a technical backround, working w/different foreign/American companies, and having hunted w/some sports writers....I don't believe everthing I hear or read.

#4. WITHOUT. Late season hunting in Pennsylvania without orange, without hunters all over the place, without fear of being shot. I was hit once many years ago, and almost a second time. First time I stopped hunting for 14 years!

#5. Quieter, and more peaceful.

#6. Excitement of the stalk.

#7. Excitement of the challange of having only one shot.

#8. Hunting in the snow. Sometimes it does snow.

#9. Historical appreciation more, and more for my forefathers, and
    what they went through.

#10. Challange of primitive hunting.

I have upgraded my flintlocks, and also use in-line, but prefer flintlock.

IMHO....todays hunters have become lazy, and dumbed down.
    Part of that is the younger hunters...and the fault of us older hunters not talking the time to 'grow' younger hunters.
    Part of it is we want easier & faster results. Buy the new advertised rifle, drop in the advertised load componets, sight the target, and shoot the advertised tight group. BULL!
    Part of it is primitative hunting requires more "alone time". One must spend more time with his rifle, and have to mentally entertain oneself. Just had a healthy friend call me from his ground blind on his cell phone to talk. My phone stays in the truck when I hunt.

Well, that's just my thoughts and feelings, but I'm having FUN!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cheers to you guns & glass, I wholeheartedly agree # 1 through 10 and your humble opinion. Have you attended any of the black powder shoots or rendezvous? Most events are for "primitive" firearms but many of the people shoot modern as well., and this topic is hotter than politics at those events.
  • Options
    joelHjoelH Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a shame that a hot dispute within the gun toten community can help fuel the fires of the anti's out there. We must all stick together....always! That being said, I will put my 2 cents on the table and add that there is nothing like the pleasure of building a quality flintlock rifle, forming round balls over a flame, and bagging that nice buck!! It is a rush and a half! To answer the question that started this thread......Flintlocks are alive and well here at my house[8D]. MyRifles003.jpgBuiltbyJoel012.jpg
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Underdog2264- Joined both National, and PA's...but sadly haven't been able to attend either a Rendevous, or a shoot. Planning to see one in Shartlesville, or Lebanon PA.
    Have you?

joelH- Thank you for the pictures of some great looking guns. Reads as though your the maker. I'm jealous! Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I have been fortunate enough to be able to get to two or three rendezvous a year. There are 2 large ones within a few hours of our house, and I love going to the Alafia River rendezvous in Florida. As for shooting matches I attend quite a few, most are local clubs or part of other events like Pow Wows or reenactments. I have found the national sponsored matches way too serious and uptight for my taste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JoelH Thank you for the pictures, gets me all warm and fuzzy looking at those fine flints. Are any of them your work?
  • Options
    northwolfnorthwolf Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Underdog2264
    JoelH Thank you for the pictures, gets me all warm and fuzzy looking at those fine flints. Are any of them your work?

My sentiment exact!! Fine Guns Joel!

Now let me throw something into the ring!!
    I have a 577 Snyder Enfield. Would I be able to hunt during "Black Powder Season"??
    I'm using a Paperpatched 600 Grain Mini I cast. It's the same I use on my 58 Cal Caplock. I shoot at 100 Yard Targets (I only have 5 shells) and when you fire it goes "Bang ........Tock". You can hear when the bullet hits the Target. I think the Snyder is a "Khyber" special... But it shoots with NO PROBLEM!![:D]

(I also have a 45 flint, a 44 Single Pistol and a 44 Colt Walker and a 36 Colt Navy) All are reprods and the Rifles and Pistol I put together from Kits.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by northwolf
    quote:Originally posted by Underdog2264

My sentiment exact!! Fine Guns Joel!

Now let me throw something into the ring!!
    I have a 577 Snyder Enfield. Would I be able to hunt during "Black Powder Season"??
    I'm using a Paperpatched 600 Grain Mini I cast. It's the same I use on my 58 Cal Caplock. I shoot at 100 Yard Targets (I only have 5 shells) and when you fire it goes "Bang ........Tock". You can hear when the bullet hits the Target. I think the Snyder is a "Khyber" special... But it shoots with NO PROBLEM!![:D]

(I also have a 45 flint, a 44 Single Pistol and a 44 Colt Walker and a 36 Colt Navy) All are reprods and the Rifles and Pistol I put together from Kits.

Here in Indiana you couldn't use the Snyder, it being a breechloader. Ours is specifically a "muzzleloader" season. That's here, though. You want to check with your area DNR or whatever equivalent of same you have in your neck of the woods.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some areas are touchy about breach loaders, it would be best to check first as mongrel1776 said. Here in Florida I don't think you would have a problem other than the hole you make would be larger than most of the game down here. [;)]
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    -I have heard that the electric BP rifle has been deemed illegal during BP or muzzle-loader season in at least one state.

I have always thought that the reason for having a separate season is to provide BP shooters an opportunity to take game at the shorter ranges usually associated with BP rifles.

Typically, there is some lag time that BP weapons experience between the hammer striking the flint or the percussion cap and ignition of the charge. Obviously there is more hesitation with the flintlocks than with the percussion guns, but still, there is that slight time lag between dropping the hammer on the cap and ignition taking place.

Think about the difference this way:
    The electric gun is essentially a cartridge gun. The only difference is that the electric gun shooter "reloads his brass" after each shot. The immediate, instant ignition of the powder charge by the electric ingnition is comparable to a cartridge primer.

Eventually this will morph into a muzzle loader rifle that will handle smokeless powder and regular rifle slugs. For what? To get the advantage of shooting during muzzle loading season and having a leg up on everyone else? This essentially is "gaming", wherein a few violate the spirit of the rules governing muzzle loading season by coming up with a "trick" gun.

Long time shooters have seen this sort of thing ruin various shooting sports by gamers who make incrementally more radical modifications to the guns used in that sport and the administrators of those sports taking no action to curtail it.

That's why it's wrong.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was over at the range for a BP shoot yesterday, and I heard a fun phrase. "If it ain't got a rock in the lock, it ain't a gun!" I'm glad I had my percussion cap Hawken and not my Omega 50![:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolf.
    --
    -I have heard that the electric BP rifle has been deemed illegal during BP or muzzle-loader season in at least one state.

I have always thought that the reason for having a separate season is to provide BP shooters an opportunity to take game at the shorter ranges usually associated with BP rifles.

Typically, there is some lag time that BP weapons experience between the hammer striking the flint or the percussion cap and ignition of the charge. Obviously there is more hesitation with the flintlocks than with the percussion guns, but still, there is that slight time lag between dropping the hammer on the cap and ignition taking place.

Think about the difference this way:
    The electric gun is essentially a cartridge gun. The only difference is that the electric gun shooter "reloads his brass" after each shot. The immediate, instant ignition of the powder charge by the electric ingnition is comparable to a cartridge primer.

Eventually this will morph into a muzzle loader rifle that will handle smokeless powder and regular rifle slugs. For what? To get the advantage of shooting during muzzle loading season and having a leg up on everyone else? This essentially is "gaming", wherein a few violate the spirit of the rules governing muzzle loading season by coming up with a "trick" gun.

Long time shooters have seen this sort of thing ruin various shooting sports by gamers who make incrementally more radical modifications to the guns used in that sport and the administrators of those sports taking no action to curtail it.

That's why it's wrong.

I agree with all of the above, except the point of it being "wrong". Had there been any reliable way of foretelling the future, when the ML seasons went into effect, I suspect there would have been more specific wording as to performance -- that ballistics beyond the capabilities of traditional muzzleloaders would have been ruled out, thus nipping in the bud what has come to pass: muzzleloaders that seriously outperform historical expectations, muzzleloaders that load with smokeless powder, electronic ignition, etc. Not to mention, a rather large segment of the muzzleloading population that couldn't care less about anything but optimum performance and the opportunity of an extra season. HOWEVER -- this future was not foretold, things are as they are, and I won't use the word "wrong" in expressing my opinion as to what the ML seasons were intended to be, in the beginning, and by extension my opinion of the reality that some have made of that intent. I would sooner agree to disagree and allow other shooters their choice of weapons, so long as they're legal and safe -- and so long as they don't start making noises about banning my flinter or other rifles that offer something less than the pinnacle of modern muzzleloading performance.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: But today at the range I forgot to put in the black stuff again ... I am getting better at pulling the ball! Practice is a good deal ... actually, it is essential![:D]

I've done that but I always unscrew the nipple & dribble a few grains of powder in, thump it with my hand, dribble in a few more & when I can't get any more to go in I replace the nipple & shoot the ball out. Pretty quick & easy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oregunner has the right idea, it has been used since the beginning of caplocks. An alternate method is the "silent discharger" quick and safe, but it will set you back $30 or so.