In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mrs Claus is bringing me a Hawken!! PIC ADDED

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
50 cal
IMG_2222.jpg
For a few yrs now the wife and I try to listen for hints as to what to get each other for christmas. I always pick these hard to get (for her) items so I make her a list. First we decide a budget. Then I pick 5 or 6 things out that I would like in the price range then she will pick one or two depending on the price and Wall la the wife picks the perfect presents every yr[;)] and she gets to surprise me at the same time.

Well thats the way it's suposed to work

But....

Last night she was in a hurry and as she headed out the door she asked me to check on some gifts for others online. So after dinner I head into the office, I woke the MAC and right there for all to see is the web page and it was showning the final checkout screen from cabelas.

"Oops, I wasn't spose to see that, in fact I didn't see it" [;)]

Bless her heart she tries so hard to surprise me, this would be funny if I hadn't also found my birthday present this yr (2 months before my birthday)

She had hid that behind a door in the house and when the box fell and slammed the door shut I was bound to investigate. So I did. And she caught me, while I was trying to put it back. Oops!!! @ least she has no idea that I have found this one good thing too, it would break her heart.

So I will act surprised [;)] on christmas morning and give her a huge hug and kiss.[:D]

anyways looks like some pictures and range report is fourth coming..

Any load suggestions???

should I throw a musket nipple on it from the get go?

I am excited I cant wait!!!! [8D]

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Cool!

Good for her!

Load suggestions: 80 gr FFg under a Hornday Great Plains Maxi-ball.

No need to put a musket nipple on it. It will be fine just like it comes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    Cool!

Good for her!

Load suggestions: 80 gr FFg under a Hornday Great Plains Maxi-ball.

No need to put a musket nipple on it. It will be fine just like it comes.

any 777 load suggestion???
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,238 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    handgunhtr: He might need a musket nipple for 777, right? It is harder to ignite.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If you plan on using 777 then I would suggest 75 grains (volume equivalent) and a musket nipple.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What make & caliber is it? .45? .50? .54? I have a T/C Hawken .50 & my plinking load is 50 grains of 2F with a patched roundball & a #11 cap. Cheap to shoot & low recoil. Accuracy is quite good.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Very Merry Christmas indeed, A good starter load is 75gr 2f and patched round ball, or 90gr 2f and a 320gr maxi-ball. By the way does your wife have any single sisters? [;)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,238 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, get the black powder and the patched round ball, use number 11 percussion caps.
    The Hawken is easier to clean than any other muzzleloader I have ever shot, you pop off that barrel and unscrew the nipple and you are on your way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oregunner
    What make & caliber is it? .45? .50? .54? I have a T/C Hawken .50 & my plinking load is 50 grains of 2F with a patched roundball & a #11 cap. Cheap to shoot & low recoil. Accuracy is quite good.

It is the Cabelas Hawken (Investarms, and from what i have read they make most modern day hawkens) Come to think of it i dont know if she odered the 50 or the 54 I guess that is the surprise this yr [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Underdog2264
    A Very Merry Christmas indeed, A good starter load is 75gr 2f and patched round ball, or 90gr 2f and a 320gr maxi-ball. By the way does your wife have any single sisters? [;)]

no, sorry no single sisters[;)]