In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHOTSHELL PRIMERS OK??

dandydandy Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
I am a noobie that just got an omega 50 cal and in a rush to buy supplies I bought regular cci shotshell 209 primers instead of those marked for muzzleloaders. I figure it was not really a problem but wanted to hear opinions of those with some experience.

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I use regular Federal 209 shotshell primers for my Encore and haven't had a problem yet, other than the crud ring when I use 777 pellets. IIRC, the only difference between the 209 primers made specifically for muzzleloaders and regular 209 primers is that the muzzleloader primers are not as hot (don't produce as much flame), which is supposed to help reduce the crud ring when using 777 pellets. If you are not using 777 pellets, you don't even have to worry about that. If you are, make sure you swab the barrel between every shot so that you can seat the bullet on the powder easier.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problems at all, I have used CCI 209's for years in my T/C Firestorm, Pro Hunter and now Triumph with no trouble at all, and with pellets and loose powder. Just clean after each shot as HandgunHTR52 said and you will be golden.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use what ever I can get my hands on. the big 5 name brands are hotter than the rest

elkoholic had some misfires with the ones marked for BP.
    I have some winml209's but have not tried them yet.
  • Options
    ral819ral819 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is potential for the hotter 209 primers, to cause enough pressure to move your bullet/sabot off the powder or pellets, and cause some flyers. I've tried Kleenbore, Winchester Triple 7, and am now trying the Variflame adapters with small rifle primers (CCI #400). I've got to admit there is a difference with the amount of fouling and the crud ring using the Variflames.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the new 'muzzler loader' 209's have some very good Features & Benefits, and can be worth the accuracy & health investment.

Feature= Reduced power. It's not the flame, it's the gas it produces.
    Benefits= Pellets/bullet don't make 'the jump' as ral819 mentioned. For a long time it was hard (still is) to bet people to believe it happens. Especially some primer makers tried to down play it.

Feature= Improved chemical formula. One has reduced mercuric oxide.
    Benefit= Less crud w/777. LESS mercuric oxides in the smoke!!!!

Additionally,
    Generally speaking smokeless powders produce less smoke, faster burn rates, and have higher gas exit speeds so more of the smoke is pulled away from the muzzle in a venturi effect. Cleaner.
    Smokepoles are quite different, and while I admit I do like some of the smell, I don't want any residue that is harmful to my lungs, eyes, nasal passages, and muceous membrane.