In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sighting in a scope...

HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
What is a good technique for this? Swab the bore after every shot, or every 2-3 shots? I've got it on paper at a hundred yards, but can't get any consistancy out of it. I am shooting 100grs of 777 with 295gr powerbelts in a CVA Optima.

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting five shots between swabbing the bore and see what happens then try three shots between swabbing the bore. With 777 you should not have to swab the barrel between shots.

Bode
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try upping and lowering the abount of powder.bp rifles have their likes and dislikes that way.
    If it's for hunting,I'd clean between every shot since that is the way hunting is....cleaned bore,1 shot is all ya get,etc.

WAIT!! only try 'upping' the load IF the gun is built for it!!
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    what power is the scope ? if its a very lower power scope that could be part of the parblem , as it can be hard to stay on target when you're working with a 1X scope

as for swabing between shots I do , use T/C bore cleaner , 1 wet patch followed by 2 dry patchs , then shoot your next shot and swab again , i don't swab between shots when in the field but i do off the bench

after you start getting good groups , then start taking more shot between swabing , so you can see how many shots it take for your groups to really fall apart ,

just becarefull that you seat your bullet all the way down on the powder as it will get harder to do as the fouling builds up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I put a 3-9 power scope on it, but I am sighting in on 3X at 100 yards. I have tried running a pre saturated T/C bore patch through after 1 and 2 shots, but I still seem to get no consistancy.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    have you tried shooting on 9X ?
  • Options
    crb4809crb4809 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try swabbing between every shot and shoot it at 50 yards. I had some 320 grain Maxi-balls that would shoot a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards. When I shot a 100 yard group it was about a 1 foot group. Even shooting open sights I thought I should be doing better than that. Finally I realized that the bullets were tumbling since the 100 yard target had some holes that were not perfectly round. Check your targets carefully to make sure the bullets are not tumbling in flight.
  • Options
    SlowDogSlowDog Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hunter Bolt 209 Magnum in 45 caliber. I use the pyrodex pellets and 275 grain Powerbelt bullets. I have two guns like this, one with 3-9 Nikon proStaff Scope and one with a Straight 4X scope. I was shooting with 2 pellets= 100grns. and at 100 yds. shot under 2"groups. I went out to 200yds. and all I had to do was drop in another pellet going to 150 grns.The groups held in under 3 inches and still delivered enough energy to bring down a deer. I have used this for a 250 yard kill on a whitetail Checked with a Nikon Laser range finder. "your results may vary"hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally got it dialed in![:)] I had to drop to 228 grain Powerbelts with 100gr 777. I did find out it likes 215gr sabots with 100gr 777 a little better. Still, I'm getting 1 1/2" groups at a hundred yards with both bullets! Its good for about four shots before swabbing. The old ten pointer I'm chasing better look out during muzzleloader season![:p]
  • Options
    ral819ral819 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Powerbelts never worked for me, It seems they're a little undersized and work better with a fouled bore. I'd go to a sabot and find the right powder load. I swab between shots with one damp patch of TC #13 and one dry patch (both sides), then reload. I use a spit patch when hunting, followed by one dry patch (both sides). After 10-12 shots I clean the bore giving the barrel a break. I've quit using any Bore Butter at all... Consistency has been fine since...Good Luck
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sight in should be done at the higest magnification if you are using a variable.