In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Special vs .44 Special Cowboy

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was shooting .44 Special Cowboy 24 grain in my .44 Triple Lock today. Sounded like a .38 and hardly any buck. Anyone know how much the Cowboy is downloaded compared to the standard .44 Special? I'm thinking of reaming one of my old S&W DA breakdowns to take the Special. .44 Russian is hard to find hereabouts. Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester's 2007 Product Guide that has all their ammo info gives the .44 Spec and the .44 Cowboy almost the same performance, within 5 grains bullet weight difference and 5 fps velocity. The question comes to mind, with so close to the same, why bother? Why would the ammo maker offer such a small difference? Why would a shooter choose one over the other?

My limited knowledge about cowboy loadings has it that they exist to be gentler and safe for our older guns. I have the unconfirmed notion that the cowboy loading is designed to give a softer launch to the projectile and just happens to almost have the same performance specs. But is it really any different safety-wise?

Does anyone have the real skinny on this? Or should anyone care?
    Thanks for reading this far.

PS I have been shooting both in my S&W 1st Model DA and the only difference I notice is the .44 Special burns a little cleaner.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I say the cowboy loads exist principally to reduce recoil, partly because cowboy shooters demand non-frightening ammo and partly for gamesmenship.

Ferinstance, the BP .45 Colt loads back in the day were a lot stouter than today's cowboy loads.

As for why the manufacturer lists two almost identical loads under different categories, you'll have to ask the marketing department!

I'd guess the .44 Special load you mention is a low-end loading which explains the similarity to the cowboy load. There are several hotter loadings, with modern bullets, for the .44 Special out there that are appropriate for self defense or hunting, but I wouldn't want to abuse an older gun with them.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cowboy load for the already-mild .44 Special probably has a flat pointed bullet for use in tube magazines. Some .44 Magnum carbines will handle .44 Specials.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update - to set the record straight.

Winchester lists 3 .44 Specials The Cowboy 240 grains, 750 fps, the .44Spl 246gr/755fps & 200gr/900fps. I did not shoot the hi-vel.

In .45 Colt the Cowboy is 250/750, .45 Colt is 255/860 & 225/920.

MrO. is right that the .45 Colt is 110 fps higher velocity than their Cowboy, which one reason for my post in the first place.

Why the difference, why not a difference, caliber to caliber?

edit 12/28 I just bought some Winchester .44 Spec Cowboy which has a flat nose bullet.

The .44 Special Cowboy I shot had the same round nose bullet as the Win .44 Spl but I don't recall the make.

Hope this helps.