In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1851 conversion cylinders brass frame

DevinBarnettDevinBarnett Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I was wondering if any of you fellas have ever put a conversion cylinder in an 1851 with a brass frame? I have been advised not to do it with the brass frame but i've also heard that if you use lighter loads it wont hurt the gun. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, if you get light enough, but who decides what that is?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides loosening up earlier, the bore is way oversized for the 38 spl.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we assuming it's a .36cal? They also make an 1851 in .44 that coverts to a 45.

v35 is correct, a 36 cal bore uses a .375 ball....trust me, I have a pair of 58 Remmies in 36cal! [;)]
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I think it'd be rolling the dice in a situation that, when you lose, will turn your hand into something that won't be able to roll no dice nomore.

There's plenty of safer alternatives out there. I'd only use a steel frame myself. If money's tight and you have your heart set on a conversion, you could always sell the brass frame gun and put the money towards a steel framed one.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even using a steel frame, the .36 (.375" dia.) cal barrels are way oversize for the 38 special.
    You could probably have the barrel bored out and sleeved down to .38 cal (.357' dia) but then you couldn't use the purcussion cylinder anymore.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure you can do it if you don't value your hands.[:D] Truthfully, it can be done but remember Brass is not as strong as iron.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I wouldn't do it with a brass frame for the reasons stated already.

Grab one with a steel frame for the conversion cylinder.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The center pin is steel screwed into brass and it may get loose with even normal loads, given being shot enough. The more strain of a heavier load just hastens the process. I repaired one such by silver soldering the center pin in place which, as far as I know, eliminated forever its loosening.

Keep in mind that there are various kinds of brass, depending on its alloy content, and you will never know what one is. Makers may have different threading or attaching the center pin - again one never knows.

I agree with others that a .38 conversion of the brass frame '51 is bad news. I agree especially with v35 about bore size. I was going to convert a repro Remington Navy to .38 till I did some checking and found that all .38 cal ammo (repeat all) normally found in your local gunshop is too small for the bore. Even the .38 S$W (larger than the .38 Spec.) it too small to take the rifling. There are conversions that use it with some success probably due to the base of the bullet spreading somewhat on firing (a la Minie ball).

PS I did the conversion but to .22, sleeving both the cyl and bbl.
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't, the guys are right, you could have yourself a bunch of HANDburger.