In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Disc Extreme,Knight Rolling Block, Encore or Omega

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I know this has been asked many times before, but I have gift certificates for Cabelas plus some money saved so that I can buy an in-line. There are so many good choices it is driving me crazy. I want to buy the best I can and have narrowed it down to one of four guns, two from Knight and two from TCA. I need help in the form of informed opinions. I have time with Muzzle loader season pretty much over for the year, this is for next year. I am looking for a stainless and synthetic stock.

If I have missed a gun to consider, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CVA's Optima Pro or Elite

My Optima gives me MOA out to 200yds.

Great rifle.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    ral819ral819 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the TC's , Omega, Encore ,etc...
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If you want just a muzzleloader, go with the Omega. If you want a gun that you can turn into a centerfire (and have an excuse to spend more money on barrels) then go with the Encore.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the help, the Omega seems like a good and proven choice.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i have an omega Z5 shoots great and very easy to clean. just remember to use antiseize on the breech threads
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting a T/C Omega 50 for four years and find it to be a great shooter. I understand that they really stand behind their time guarantee as well.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im looking for a new muzzleloader as well. I owned a Knight rifle but didnt like it because you had to remove the barrel from the stock and the trigger from the barrel to clean it from the back. It had shallow rifling and accuracy would fade badly after two shots without cleaning. Using Pyrodex Select a two shot group would be in 1 1/2 inches but three shots would be 4" and four shots were in a six inch group. The barrel would be so fouled at this point that it could no longer be loaded. If I ever wound an elk I want better accuracy than that. A friend of mine had a deep rifled Traditions that was easy to clean and would shoot a dozen times before accuracy suffered greatly so I bought one. Ive used the Traditions now for several years (two deer, four Elk)and I liked it but Ive been reading that CVA, Traditions, Winchester and some Remington muzzleloaders are poorly built with barrels made of inferior steel and not even proofed for the max loads allowed by the instructions. (For more info on this google Randy Wakeman or Henry Ball) According to them there have been several instances of these muzzleloaders blowing up. I have noticed much better stopping power on Elk with max loads and this has put me on the hunt for a new muzzleloader. I would consider American built rifles only T/C, Savage, H&R, Knight etc. In my state Im not allowed to hunt with smokeless powder which makes the Savage 10 less attractive. What I would want is a long barreled 24" or better rifle with 1/28 or faster twist thats easy to clean and has repeatable accuracy for several shots with max 100 to 120 gr loads of 3F 777. Can anybody recommend a rifle that can do that?
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Im looking for a new muzzleloader as well. I owned a Knight rifle but didnt like it because you had to remove the barrel from the stock and the trigger from the barrel to clean it from the back. It had shallow rifling and accuracy would fade badly after two shots without cleaning. Using Pyrodex Select a two shot group would be in 1 1/2 inches but three shots would be 4" and four shots were in a six inch group. The barrel would be so fouled at this point that it could no longer be loaded. If I ever wound an elk I want better accuracy than that. A friend of mine had a deep rifled Traditions that was easy to clean and would shoot a dozen times before accuracy suffered greatly so I bought one. Ive used the Traditions now for several years (two deer, four Elk)and I liked it but Ive been reading that CVA, Traditions, Winchester and some Remington muzzleloaders are poorly built with barrels made of inferior steel and not even proofed for the max loads allowed by the instructions. (For more info on this google Randy Wakeman or Henry Ball) According to them there have been several instances of these muzzleloaders blowing up. I have noticed much better stopping power on Elk with max loads and this has put me on the hunt for a new muzzleloader. I would consider American built rifles only T/C, Savage, H&R, Knight etc. In my state Im not allowed to hunt with smokeless powder which makes the Savage 10 less attractive. What I would want is a long barreled 24" or better rifle with 1/28 or faster twist thats easy to clean and has repeatable accuracy for several shots with max 100 to 120 gr loads of 3F 777. Can anybody recommend a rifle that can do that?

For ease of cleaning, the T/C Encore Prohunter with the Speed-Breech or the T/C Triumph are your best bets. They are very accurate as well.
    As far as repeatable accuracy using 777, that is a little more difficult because of the "crud ring". If you don't want to patch between shots, I would stick with regular Pyrodex. At least until that new powder from Accurate(?) comes out in March. What I have done to combat the "crud ring" is to carry two 35mm film canisters, one with patches soaked in blackpowder solvent and the other containing dry patches. After I shoot, I run one solvent patch, followed by two dry patches, down the barrel prior to reloading.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I am hoping for big things from Blackhorn 209.
    If it really is non corrosive I will start shooting it in my Savage.