In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

recommend good economical ML?

laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
i want to buy a friend a 50 caliber ML for a friend in KS. I have ML hunted a little over the years, but not much, as here in KS it coincides w my severe ragweed allergy and 90 degree heat. no scopes allowed. what's a good enomical 50 caliber inline? don't want to spend big bucks on a TC encore. are new Triumphs any good? read that powder blasts back from the breechplug, and a wrench is easily lost.

want to keep it around $350 or under.

Comments

• Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new Triumph is great! I have put 30+ rounds through mine figuring the best loads for hunting, and find it a joy to shoot and clean, with the hand turn out breach plug. Would be hard to keep it under $350 though. You can find used encores and such for around the 350 mark or less.( just be sure to check the bore before you buy.) I have only heard of "blowback" in some of the CVA/BPI inlines. MHO stay away from the Wally World cheepos, spend a bit more and get a good quality ML like T/C, Remington, Ruger or even high end Knight.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an opinion from chuckhawks.com, written by muzzleloader expert Randy Wakeman.

The Economy Choice: The Knight Wolverine 209

The Knight LK-93 has been a popular choice for over ten years now, with the same basic action as Tony Knight's "original modern inline," the MK-85. The Wolverine was the first Knight to have barrel and receiver made from one block of steel, an integral design now found in all Knight Rifles.

The Wolverine 209 continues on quite nimbly today, augmented by Knight's full red plastic jacket that weatherproofs the action and reduces blowback. Current Wolverines offer the same "factory adjustable for free triggers" found on the most expensive Knights, with a array of configurations very few muzzleloaders can match: thumbhole, camo, youth, and even left-handed solid synthetic stocks, .45 or .50 caliber, and either 22" or 26" blued or stainless Green Mountain barrels.

It has Knight's sub 2-1/2" accuracy guarantee, though most shoot far better out of the box, and less than 1 MOA is not rare. Ian McMurchy's extensive tests showed 1.33 to 1.53 inch average five shot group sizes.

The street prices vary from around $199 to $299. This gun proves that you need not spend a lot of cash to have a reliable, weatherproof modern muzzleloader with a great trigger, backed by a strong USA company with excellent customer support.

For all the reasons mentioned, there is no reason to settle for less than the Knight Wolverine 209, an all-American classic. Some feel that despite its affordable pricing, you aren't settling for less of anything at all, and I can't argue with that.

The NEF / H&R "Sidekick" has recently earned the distinction of being one of the best values in a well-made muzzleloader as well.

I have spoken with dozens of Wolverine owners over the years, and they all would agree with Randy's assessment. It is a very accurate rifle.
    Here is one on Gunbroker auction, new in box for $119. That is just a hell of a deal.

ttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84336311

This guy on gunbroker has a good rating. I also googleg up "Knight Wolverine" and saw a Christmas sale at Bass Pro for a Wolverine with a camo stock, and value pack with all kinds of valuable accessories, for $200.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i really appreciate these responses.
    i spent a lot of time at Sportsmans Warehouse and ended up getting CVA Wolf--1 for my buddy and another for myself, $134 each. obviously price was a major factor, but i liked the trigger, handling, fit, and break-open design. buddy did not like knight.
    nevertheless again i much appreeciate the help aznd will remember it
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Five years ago for my first muzzle loader I got a T/C Omega 50 and I think it is a great shooter, it just doesn't look like a gun in camo and stainless steel, but it shoots fine.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Triumph is Junk!

We've sold a dozen of them, had 11 returned.

Buy a CVA Optima and be done with it.

Mine turns in MOA groups, very easy to clean, and well built.

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optpro.htm
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubslover,
    What problems have you had with the triumphs, So far I like mine and have had no problems, but I would like to know what to be looking for.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Underdog2264
    Cubslover,
    What problems have you had with the tryumphs, So far I like mine and have had no problems, but I would like to know what to be looking for.

I'll have to check back at the store to see what the issues really are. We actually took them off the shelf.

I didn't mean any offense by saying they were "junk". They are having problems that are being fixed under warranty. I'll get back with you.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC Black Diamond. I believe mine was $250.