In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 or .50 caliber, which 1 to buy?

tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
What are your opinions on which caliber to get, a .45 or .50 caliber, thanks

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the .50 caliber.
    There is more ammo available for the .50.
    If you are talking about an inline, most guys wind up shooting .45 bullets anyway, as they use sabots that put a .45 slug in a .50 barrel.
    If you want to fling a big chunk of lead, you can use a .50 Buffalo Bullet etc.
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with Allen. If you're looking at a rifle for shooting roundball, the .50 slings more lead, retaining more energy at somewhat longer range than the .45.

This is assuming you're in the market for what will primarily be a deer rifle. A .45 is something more of an all-around caliber if you're also going to be shooting at smaller game, but I'd still go with a .50 and look for a .32 or .36 if I wanted a ML squirrel gun.
  • pine-treepine-tree Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed go with the 50 if your going after elk you'll need 50 or 54. I liked shooting the 50 over the 45 anyday.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my .58 cal Enfield musketoon, until this year it was my BP deer gun. I just switched to a t/c new englander in .54 cal. I cast my own minie` balls for both, and those things drop a deer........no question, and sometimes the tree behind it!

I tried the in lines, but they don't have the "pinache`" of a good old side lock. I used to hunt with a .50, but I didn't like the knock down power. We get fairly long shots where I hunt, so I prefer the one shot kills all theory.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Lyman Great Plains rifle in 54 is awesome - 10 balls into 3 inches at 100yds with iron sights - and they really hit hard. Gotta clean between shots though. I use only real BP
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the .50 calibre and you won't need to buy stuff for both. And you won't end end up at the range with the wrong stuff ... or worse, end up out in the woods hunting with the wrong size bullets!