In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

frozen nipple

rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, I have a black powder rifle with a stuck nipple, I've tried solvent, I soaked it for days, still won't budge. Any ideas? It's a t/c side lock if that matters. thank you and have a great christmas.

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    When you say "soaked it for days" do you mean you soaked it in solvent or you soaked it in penetrating oil? If you mean solvent, then try soaking it in Kroil for a couple of days. That should free it up. Make sure you soak the inside and outside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was solvent from both sides, but I'll try the kroil also. Thanks
  • Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have this happen and the only way I was able to remove the nipple was to heat the nipple with a propane torch. let cool and reheat 2 or 3 times before trying the wrench on it .Only heat the nipple enough to get it hot . Not red hot . This will soften the nipple and cause it to brake off. Good luck [:D]
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both methods will work, and have worked for me in the past. Just don't forget to put a coat of anti- seize on both sets of threads when you put your new nipple on, and every time you clean the gun, you will never have a problem again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, the gun is new to me, but probably 20 years old. I have quit a few BP rifles and handguns, and I have never seen one I couldn't off. Which leeds me to beleive it may be the original nipple. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how I make out. rgerge
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally, a good day of shooting loosened that bad boy up, thanks guys! have a great christmas!!
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try pluging the nipple with a toothpick, pour liquid wrench down the barrel,and let it set for a week or two. Worked for me on a rusty old original shotgun.
  • Options
    wwg55wwg55 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAD A GIRLFRIEND LIKE THAT ONCE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OH MY GOD................THAT'S MY WIFE!!!!!![xx(]