In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A few Bullet/sabot questions

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Anyone tried those Precision Rifle Dead Center Bullets/Sabots? They don't look to fantastic, but I've read a lot of good reviews on them.

Also, if most of my shots will be under 125yds, most around 50-80 yds, will I really need any of these fancy accu-tip bullets? I'm wondering how well they will expand at full velocities and short ranges.

I know I just just stick to the Hornady XTP's, but I'm itching to try something new.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot the barmes MZ with a MMP sabot, stay away from the dead center bullets published BC is a bunch of crap. Read the review here http://www.chuckhawks.com/precision_bullets.htm
    while you there reading this read the whole selection on bullet sabot selection
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really feel that your shots will be under 125 yds, yes stick with the XTP. The XTPs are one of the few actual bargains on bullets out there - since you can buy them in bulk. They open a heck of a wound channel on a deer to.

The only thing you need a pretty pointy tip for is if you want/need to shoot at 175 yards & further - you'll see a lot less drop.
  • Options
    tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot them in a variety of rifles for the last 5-6 years. I use 90 to 100 grains of american pioneer fff, 200-220 grain dead centers. I have shot deer from 25 to 150+ yards, I have had very good success with them, they seem to penetrate very well, I like them better then XTP or power belts. They are pricier but I will keep using them for the small cost differential.
  • Options
    sniper762sniper762 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive used lots, but hornady xtp pistol bullets worked best for me. every shot dropped them in their tracks.
  • Options
    ral819ral819 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 250 Gr Shockwaves from TC, or the Hornady SST with 100gr 777. As far as the Dead Centers, I've never tried them but , I've gotten alot of info from their website (www.prbullet.com). I can't say the same for Chuck Hawks...JMHO...
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed deer with the Hornady 250 XTP, and the 250 SST.
    Both bullets have knocked the deer dead in their tracks.
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a nice old fashioned minie` ball, it may be tough to find a .50 cal mould but they are out there. They're very hard hitting and cheap. I can get 6" group at 100yrds. with a .58, thats a ton of lead!! "one shot kills all!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    Try a nice old fashioned minie` ball, it may be tough to find a .50 cal mould but they are out there. They're very hard hitting and cheap. I can get 6" group at 100yrds. with a .58, thats a ton of lead!! "one shot kills all!"

When I'm getting MOA out of my rifle now, it would be hard to go to a round ball.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    with a navy arms 1863 springfield repo civil war rifle with a good peep sight added and a 505gr lyman 575213 hollow base (filled with crisco) pure lead minnie ball, 1.5-2 inch groups at 100yds with 65grs fffg. and it,s very easy to load and will kill any thing in north america. eastbank.
  • Options
    tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot these for 6-7 years and have shot 5 whitetails with these. Inside 75 yards were complete pass throughs. they went a max of 25 yards if they didn't drop in their tracks. I did shoot a mule deer at 150 yards, it went about 150 yards before dropping. I have had great luck with these. I sight it in 2" high at 50 yards and have group 1-1 1/2". 90 grains fff american pioneer and 200 grain dead centers out of a 28" barrel with a 1-28 twist.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    Originally posted by rgerge

When I'm getting MOA out of my rifle now, it would be hard to go to a round ball.
    [/quote

Cubslover: The minie ball is not a round ball even though it sounds like it is. It is an elongated slug with a hollow base. It might be pretty accurate in your rifle but might be hard to find in a .50
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I'll have to try them

This summer I have decided to set an entire day aside to test and try multiple different loads.

Powder weights, bullet weights and diameters, also about 4-5 different types and manufacturers.