In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loads for 45 Colt Carbine?

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
Hi fellas! I just aquired a Win.94AE in 45 Colt and am having a heck of a time finding load data for use in a rifle. I have data for pistol loads and a few CAS loads coming out my ears but have very few sources for carbine loads. I was hoping that you all could point me in the right direction and posibly even offer some good start loads. I haven't decided what grain I would like to settle in on yet and multiple loads is not an issue and probably will be likely since I do intend on some deer hunting with it next season. So pretty much to sum it up I am looking for advice on bullet selction, loads, roll crimp info, taper crimp info, powder selection suggestions, do's and don'ts and anything else you are willing to offer. I have been loading pistol cartridges for a few years now(45 ACP, 38Spec., 9mm) but none that would be shot from a rifle.

Thanks in advance and wish me luck!

Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I will check my Lyman manual. IIRC, there are some rifle loads for the .45 colt in it.

Also, check out this article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/loading_45Colt_rifles.htm
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like you are going to a lot of trouble for nothing. Most loads listed for the .45 Colt will fire in a handgun or rifle/carbine. The longer barrel of the rifle/carbine will give you a little extra velocity and accuracy but unless you want some flatten the primer loads or plan on hunting elk or elephant you really shouldn't need anything more.

But if you insist, most loading manuals should have a listing for .45 colt loads listed for "Rifle" only. If not "Google" .45 Colt and you should get a bunch of information.

Bode
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

Seems like you are going to a lot of trouble for nothing. Most loads listed for the .45 Colt will fire in a handgun or rifle/carbine. The longer barrel of the rifle/carbine will give you a little extra velocity and accuracy but unless you want some flatten the primer loads or plan on hunting elk or elephant you really shouldn't need anything more.

But if you insist, most loading manuals should have a listing for .45 colt loads listed for "Rifle" only. If not "Google" .45 Colt and you should get a bunch of information.

Bode

Yes, Thank You! I was unsure on some of the load data. The manuals I have presently don't really cover 45Colt for rifle except Speer#13 and it was just for 225-230gr lead bullets. I was aware of the increase in velocity, but was uncertain about using the pistol data for rifles because I have heard that some pistol loads were not recommended for rifles in other calibers, I assume ddue to the lack of power of the cartridge.

And no on the elephant or elk, just close range whitetail and the occasional stray dog[:D].