In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 10ML - Muzzy - shooting PowerBelts

JagsportJagsport Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
Anyone done this - Shooting the Smokeless powder charge that the Savage guns "allow" over a PowerBelt round.

This is a .50 Caliber gun.

I see the disclaimer by "Savage" regarding "not to shoot" PowerBelts with this charge. But I am struggling with the claim that barrel leading is a real problem.

Anyone tested this ?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The plastic skirt on the Powerbelt will not hold up to the pressure generated by smokeless powder.
    You need a good saboted round like the SST or XTP or the Barnes copper bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is this verfied by you or just an assumption
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is not verified by me, nor is it my assumption that the Powerbelt won't work. It is verified by me that the saboted SST and XTP work well.
    My info on the Powerbelt comes from the experts on this forum. They know it all when it comes to the Savage. When so many of these guys say that the Powerbelt won't work I know better than to waste my time with it.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK - if you and the guys say so.
    I found this site below - contacted the author and he says he has shot over 100 rounds of PowerBelts in the Savage with Smokeless powder..

I tried it today ( shot 10 rounds) - same bullet and charge, works fine.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-10MLII.htm

Theory and Practice
    Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since you are so knowledgable John, I don't know why you come on here asking for advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't get upset - I kept looking after I posted and I found other information. Thats all - I sent it for others and you to see..

I tried what I found. It worked, thats all.

Sorry - I just did not stop researching after I posted and recieved your great advice .... I am not an expert, and I asked. So now you can go back to posting your 4000 experts answers, quit acting like a baby.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jagsport
    Don't get upset - I kept looking after I posted and I found other information. Thats all - I sent it for others and you to see..

I tried what I found. It worked, thats all.

Sorry - I just did not stop researching after I posted and recieved your great advice .... I am not an expert, and I asked. So now you can go back to posting your 4000 experts answers, quit acting like a baby.

The guy in the Gunblast article is barely exceeding 2,000 fps with this load. You can get more speed than that with 100 grains of 777.
    If you are content with this low speed load then good for you.
    Most of us Savage guys want to take the advantage that smokeless powder offers and go to much higher speeds. At the higher speeds that plastic skirt on the Powerbelt will not hold up.

I knew that our forum was lacking something, but now jagsport you have made us complete. We have a newbie who is a smart mouthed punk.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets see beside the insults there does seem to be some data of value. It would seem that PowerBelts are good up to at least 2000 fps but may be suspect at higher velocity. The Savage guys are real velocity heads but some users like myself like using smokeless powder so we can shoot more and clean less. I like to shoot a lot so I use cast lead 45 cal. pistol bullets unsize and unlubricated with sabots and 45 grains of AA5744. I have not put it over the chrono so can only guess that the velocity is in the 2200 range but I would be happy if it was only 2000. Not that I am shooting a anything with a pulse these days but a 240 grain Lead SemiWadcutter at 2000 fps or 2200 fps either should do the job.

Tim