In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BP Rifle in Vehicle

riderrider Member Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
While hunting....Is your BP rifle considered unloaded if you simply take the primer off and transport in your vehicle from one hunting area to another? Or do you take the powder and ball/bullet completly out? or shoot it out? This sounds like a dumb question, but a game warden, in Arizona, told a friend he had to completely remove the powder, bullet, primer before placing the rifle in his vehicle. I think this is BS.....What do you do? Opinions?

rider

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you take the cap off the nipple, it is considered unloaded. According to the Game and Fish regulations.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might depend on the state. Here in Indiana, the gun is considered unloaded if the cap/primer is removed or the pan has been emptied of priming powder, depending on whether it's percussion or flintlock. I lived in Arizona prior to moving here, but didn't hunt with muzzleloaders at the time, so I couldn't tell you what AZ law said then or now.

Best to contact the DNR in your state and, if their stated policy differs from what a game warden in the field says, request it in writing.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like mentioned before consult your DNR regs! Like mongrel said, here in Indiana it is considered unloaded if the cap is removed or prime pan is empty. Don't believe everything that a conservation officer tells you cause sometimes they omit facts to issue citations that make the state money. Not all of them but there are a few. I had a good friend at work that was arrested by a officer here in Indiana 2 yrs ago while deer hunting because he had his shotgun and 22-250 with him. He took the 22-250 for coyotes since they had an issue around his farm with them. I told him to take it to court instead of paying the fine. He did, and the judge threw it out because there is no statue that says you cannot persue multiple animals at the same time. But again, check your states regulations to be sure on the unloaded issue.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that in the national forests it is considered unloaded if the cap is removed from the nipple.
    I used to work with game wardens and most were good guys but there always are a couple of jerks and/or dumb *.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the iformation folks. I think you have satisfied my needs. I'm going to contact Arizona DFG. I think they will tell me that simply removing the primer or blowing the powder out of the pan will render the rifle as "unloaded".
    Again thanks. [:)][:)]
    rider
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure where you are located, but here in Massachusetts where everything is against the law ... if the powder is not in the flash pan, or the cap is not on the nipple or the primer is not in place, the muzzle loader is not considered loaded.

I ALWAYS put a note on the attachment of my gun case to remind me that the powder and ball or bullet is already in the barrel ... just so that I don't forget and put in a second charge and ball. In my older age, I am beginning to forget stuff!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Not sure where you are located, but here in Massachusetts where everything is against the law ... if the powder is not in the flash pan, or the cap is not on the nipple or the primer is not in place, the muzzle loader is not considered loaded.

I ALWAYS put a note on the attachment of my gun case to remind me that the powder and ball or bullet is already in the barrel ... just so that I don't forget and put in a second charge and ball. In my older age, I am beginning to forget stuff!

I do the same exact thing and have passed that practice on to my son. It's good common sense. [:)][:)] Thanks for the reply.
    rider
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I lived in CA a hunter in the camp next to ours came back from hunting and set his rifle leaned up next to the bumper of his truck--a game warden was walking through the various campsites checking hung deer for tags etc--he asked the man to open the action of his rifle. The man said sure no problem and as he did a shell popped out of the chamber onto the ground. The warden gave the guy a ticket for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle. The man argued with him saying but it's not IN the truck. The warden got pretty heated with him saying "well you can fight it in court--plus you left that firearm in a dangerous condition where it could have fallen and gone off." I always unload my firearm when I lean or lay it on the truckbed as I'm concerned it could slide and I sure don't want an accident. A muzzleloader is loaded in my mind even if you take that cap off or dump the powder from the frizzen--Just don't want to risk having an accident--there is a way to unload your muzzleloader with a CO2 cartridge so you don't have to make noise by firing it.