In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti Cattleman

DevinBarnettDevinBarnett Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Help! My cattleman in 45lc is giving me fits .The cylinder base pin keeps jumping out of place under recoil .Have tried several ything s but cannot seem to keep it locked in place suggestions befopre i send it to a gunsmith ?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Uberti's cartridge revolvers? I am looking to buy my first cowboy gun and I just want to know if Uberti makes quality guns or if i should just try to get more money and get something like a Ruger Vaquero. Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a pair of Cattelmen in 44-40. Although I only shoot C&Bs now, they have been very reliable guns. First thing I did was to put a Wolfe spring kit in each. Slicked em up real good.

I would suggest that you not buy anything until you have attended a couple matches and had the opportunity to try out a wide variety of guns. You may end up buying something you're not happy with if you don't.

Ken44-40
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Uberti Cattleman in cap and ball, it is no longer made.
    This is a high quality pistol, very nice finish and beautiful grips. Good mechanically.
    I would like to have one of the cartridge models.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti's are good guns, however, the Pietta made Great Western II sold by EMF is also a very good revolver. New Model Vaqueros are very good for about $100 more and will hold their resale value better. A used Italian gun is a $275 - $300 piece no matter how much you paid for it, the Vaquero will stay in the $400 -450 range.
    I would echo Ken44-40's sentiments, and say try some out before you decide.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It' what's on the inside that counts.

I have Rugers,and I have Italian clones for SASS shoots.
    The steel,fit and finish on the inside of the guns is miles apart.One Ruger has beeen going strong for over 35 years,my clones won't be doing that...I doubt that any clones will ,not with all original pars like my OM blackhawk still has.

BUT,for the moeny Uberti's are nice revolvers,and there are tons of them in use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate your information guys. Based on the information I think that I am gonna try to get a Ruger. That was my first choice anyway because I got a 40+ year old Single Six and it is a fantastic shooting gun.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an uberti plain jane in 45 colt. It shoots just fine and was only roughly $300 at Bass Pro. Fun gun to shot.
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I own one and it works great and has good accuracy at 25 yards.
    Very sturdy to me.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience the screw heads need to be hardened. The two I used to have had very soft screw heads and it was real easy to bugger em up.

If I had kept them I was going to heat em up and drop em in used motor oil. It is supposed to harden the metal but I never tried it.

Bode
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winston I have had trouble with the screw heads on my Uberti, now that you mention it.
    I think I will try the heat and motor oil trick on them.