In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How can I ship this Colt?

Geese HowardGeese Howard Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91685394

This is my auction - Can I just ship this through the USPS or UPS without going FFL to FFL and all that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how the post office stands on this. I've always used UPS to ship complete muzzleloading firearms (which is what your sixgun is, for legal purposes). So long as neither your town/city/county or that of your buyer require FFLs for the transfer of muzzleloading firearms, you can ship directly via UPS to the gun's new owner. A prime example of where you could NOT ship this pistol (probably even with an FFL) would be San Francisco, CA. A number of gun-related businesses refuse to even accept orders from that particular jurisdiction, due to the headache of figuring out precisely which three or four of all the millions of gun-related items Frisco hasn't banned or required to be registered.

Requiring proof of your buyer's being at least 18 may not be the law, but it is good common sense. I state in my BP auctions that, by bidding, all potential buyers are affirming that they are, in fact, legally able to receive and own the gun in question, but I'm not certain that that would do me much good if the gun's purchase became an issue in court.

If this question becomes too overwhelming, I will gladly simplify matters by allowing you to ship the gun to me. There are no legal restrictions on my receiving it and I will accept all responsibility in the event something arises [;)].
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer - yes. With the caveats, depends on local laws where you're shipping, and person needs to be over 18.

I used to use UPS for shipping my C&B revolvers until their prices got out of hand. Now I use USPS priority mail - gets there cheaper and faster.

Ken44-40
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    I've shipped BP firearms by both USPS and UPS. They gave me grief once at the Post office but I set them straight and the more experieced guy agreed with me. He told me in the future to send "Priority" mail and don't worry about it. If you can answer no to their questions you can ship it. He told me it's none of their business what's in the package beyond their standard questions. (e.g. "Is there anything hazardous or explosive in this package?" etc.)
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a 28 year veteran of the postal service, and yes, you can send it, nothing special needed. Go Priority mail. They will ask you if it's anything liquid, perishable, fragile or potentially hazardous. say "NO" and leave it at that. You can get insurance for the value of the item (whatever you sold it for) and you don't have to disclose whats in it for that, just say, "I want to insure it for $300 (or whatever)."
    There's nothing illegal about shipping a muzzle loading firearm by USPS, it's just that a lot of clerks don't know the regs, so the less information they have, the better.
  • Options
    Geese HowardGeese Howard Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW... What happens If I say no and then for some odd reason they look inside and it is, voila, a pistol - even though its black powder and a collectable some guy or gal at the post office most likely wont know that? They're likely to think it's some super power Antonio Banderas Gun or something.
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not likely. The chance of that happening is extremely remote.

Ken44-40
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have it taped up and ready to ship so they can't look inside. It's a felony to open first class mail (Priority) unless it's the postal inspectors with probable cause.
    The questions I posted are an exact quote of what they should ask you, and no is the correct answer, you aren't lying.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    I'm a 28 year veteran of the postal service, and yes, you can send it, nothing special needed. Go Priority mail. They will ask you if it's anything liquid, perishable, fragile or potentially hazardous. say "NO" and leave it at that. You can get insurance for the value of the item (whatever you sold it for) and you don't have to disclose whats in it for that, just say, "I want to insure it for $300 (or whatever)."
    There's nothing illegal about shipping a muzzle loading firearm by USPS, it's just that a lot of clerks don't know the regs, so the less information they have, the better.

Excellent info. Thank you.
  • Options
    bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is perfectly legal to ship black powder firearms by U.S. Mail. I ship at least three to four a week. Just make sure that there is no powder in the gun, flask, etc. No hassel with the post office but a lot with Fed EX and UPS.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have shipped original SAA Colts USPS with no hassel what so ever, just insure accordingly.
    W.D.