In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

taurus thunderbolt

waxmanwaxman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I have a pump in 45colt that spits powder in my face when I fire it. The fired cases are partly black on the out side. Is this because I'm using to light a load and not sealing the case in the chamber or is it a problem with the gun? Does it need to go back to the factory? Also the sights are terrible any ideas on what to put on it to make them better?

Comments

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This sounds very familiar to me. I purchased one of the very earliest of these, ordering from my dealer when I first read about them. It spit powder gas into my face when fired, with Remington factory ammo, and also with a light cowboy reload using Trail Boss powder that I use routinely in my Colt Single Action Army. Just to try it out, suspecting these light loads weren't obturating the case walls to the chamber, I loaded a few rounds with a slightly heavier load and Unique powder. there was less blowback, but the cases swelled terribly. Obviously the chamber was cut not only oversize, but also out-of-round. I contacted Taurus, then shipped the rifle back to them through my dealer where purchased. They replaced the entire rifle, telling my dealer that the chamber was indeed cut out-of-spec and was beyond repair. The second rifle is OK, no problems along this line.

I have also subsequently replaced the sights, with Lyman ivory bead front and adjustable open rear, as the originals were cheaply made and not very easy to acquire a good sight picture with.