In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ivory polymer grips for SAA -- shameless plug

mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
I just bought a set of checkered ivory polymer grips from Dixie Gun Works, intending to pretty up my Pietta SAA clone. Well, they don't fit, aren't even remotely close, and I lost the receipt, and by the time I paid return shipping to Dixie I'd be out a good chunk of change. So.... If you have a genuine Colt or a clone with a grip frame closer than mine to the original Colt configuration, you might want to check this out:

http://www.gunsonthenet.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=94911070

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Comments

• Options
    PaganPagan Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to shape them to fit, that's how they all are. Put them on and mark them on the backside. Take them off and use a shapes all rasp to trim them down, check for fit then buff them out.
    Truly,
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pagan
    You have to shape them to fit, that's how they all are. Put them on and mark them on the backside. Take them off and use a shapes all rasp to trim them down, check for fit then buff them out.
    Truly,

I was prepared for that. On the Pietta, the grip frame is so much narrower than the profile of the grips, the border around the checkering would be completely gone along the back curve, and badly uneven elsewhere. I would have to actually remove a small chunk of the grip frame of the '51 replica, along with a small portion of the grips (the '51 grip frame will mate up to the Pietta frame and I was going to go that route to be able to use the grips). Modifying parts doesn't bother me in the least. In this case the results would look pretty bad, so I'd like to find the grips a new home on a gun that's closer in grip profile to what they were intended for.
  • Options
    powderhombrepowderhombre Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just a tip for those interested... some Italian makers, and I see it alot, on the Colt percussion clones are using Colt Army Grips on their Navy models. I have 51 Navy by Pietta and the butt strap is even notched for a shoulder stock! so when ordering grips or backstraps, look closely at the style of the gun grip. Army grips are wider at the bottom an slope rather quick off the hammer. Navy grips kinda have a graceful curve and are narrower at the bottom. they ain't no way intercangable. I guess it saves on production costs to use only one style grip on both guns. too bad. a replica should be just that, identical to the original.