In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzle loader shotguns- 10 gauge

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
I am looking at ordering a Dixie Arms double barrel 10 gauge which has full and modified chokes and I have several questions......

What kind of wadding goes through a choke and still fills the barrel to hold the shot column in place?

What would the maximum powder load and shot charge be?

With #4 shot what would be the maximum range for turkey with this gun?

Anybody had experience with these shotguns, are they good? They say they weigh 7.5 pounds.

Any info would be highly appreciated as this gun costs about $700.

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'd better get a book and not rely on "word of mouth" here by these so called "experts" - If you don't know how to safely load your muzzleloader, you better leave them alone.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems like a reasonable post, asking some reasonable questions.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    You'd better get a book and not rely on "word of mouth" here by these so called "experts" - If you don't know how to safely load your muzzleloader, you better leave them alone.

Of course that book may be written by someone here so you better buy three and then go with the odds!!!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I've shot many of BP shotguns. When I was Turkey hunting I was using my Brown Bess. I just used Win. AA white wads in it but it wasn't choked to tight. I shot 120 grains of 2FF with 1 1/2 oz. of shot. I limited my range to 25 yrds.
    With my doubles, I had both 14 g. and a Berrata 12 O/U. Neither of these guns were choked full though. I used regular BP wads on these, i.e. powder, thick card, 1/2" fiber wad, shot, then over shot wad. I can't rember the company that I got them from. I will check when I get home. Dixie should carry the wads though.
    As for the rest of your ?, I would test the pattern from 75 ffg to 125 ffg. Same with the shot. Start at 1 1/4 oz and move up. You will have to just toy with your loads to see what your gun likes best. I would put max range at 30 yrds. If you take a heavy tin can and the shots will penetrate both sides it should take out a turkey neck.
    Good luck to ya.
    edited November -1
    The wads are Circle Fly by Butler Creek. I don't know if they are still in business though.
    On a side note, A 12 g wad might be o.k. down a 10g full choke. You will just have to shoot them and see.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams

Blah blah blah.
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thank you for the helpful info!!