In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Percussion Cap Firearms at Coleto Creek--1836

Jay StoutJay Stout Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
My latest book, "Slaughter at Goliad--The Mexican Massacre of 400 Texas Volunteers," includes a chapter on the various firearms that were used during the battle at Coleto on March 19, 1836, during the Texas Revolution.

In it, I include a brief discussion that says that it's possible that percussion cap weapons could have been used, but that there is no conclusive evidence.

Does anyone know if there's any recent definitive evidence indicating that percussion caps were used?

Regards,
Jay Stout

Author of, "Slaughter at Goliad--The Mexican Massacre of 400 Texas Volunteers" (Naval Institute Press, March

Comments

• Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the following in a quick seach that ended at this website http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Percussion_cap
    No idea if it's correct.

<The percussion cap replaced the powder pan of the wheel lock and flint-lock rifles. It was only generally applied to the British military musket (the Brown Bess) in 1842, a quarter of a century after the invention of percussion powder and after an elaborate government test at Woolwich in 1834.>
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It is possible that percussion cap firearms were used although the flintlock was the dominant weapon. The percussion system was invented in England in 1805. Bear in mind that Samuel Colt introduced the percussion Paterson revolver in 1836 although that system existed in numerous other firearms prior to that date.
  • Options
    shunkashunka Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While *possible* it really is not *likely*. Especially on the "far frontier" of Texas, where such exotic supplies as percussion caps would be in short supply.
    We know that By the 1840's trade guns were being produced in the "new" percussion ignition and we also know that the fur trade, which extended the reach of many supplies, did not supply caps until about the same time. Many of the frontiersman and mountain men refused to change from flinters for just that supply issue. Many's a Hivernaught that kept his flinter for he could al'ays find a chunk 'o flint along the crik.

The most compelling reason for stocking and selling percussion caps was the advent of the Colt Paterson (introduced back east in 1836) the Texas model Colt Paterson (about 1839) and Colt Walker (1847)

We now that the military was not inclined to change and kept the flintlock until adoption of the 1841 "Mississippi" caplock rifle which fought the Mexican War of 1846 with Jefferson Davis' outfit.

an excerpt from historian and master gun maker Mike Branson speaking about building flint Lancasters for Billy Bob Thornton playing Crockett in the Alamo remake:

"Between 1775 and 1836, firearms changed only in style, but not in technology," Mike concluded. "Davy Crockett was 50 years old when he arrived in Texas in January, 1836, and would have been comfortable with the type of rifles he'd used all his life on me Tennessee frontier, Percussion caps, in existence for about 10 years, would be too new to be really trusted and available on the frontier. Davy knew how to keep a flintlock firing. I hypothesized he preferred curly maple-stocked, swamped barrel, brass fitted rifles--just the sort he'd used all his life. For the movie company's desire for authenticity, I proposed full stocked Kentucky flintlock rifles, as crafted between 1795 and 1817."

read here for a scholarly discussion of firearms actually found and used at the nearby Alamo:
    http://www.geocities.com/the_tarins@sbcglobal.net/adp/history/1836/the_battle/the_weapons/small_arms.html

If you really want to research it, look into historical supply and store records that are available. If you actually find a tin of caps listed, you have a case for your assertion.
  • Options
    Jay StoutJay Stout Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,

Thanks much for your comments/insight. They generally align with what I was able to find in my research. The risk of limited supply evidently was not one that most men were willing to take so far away from the larger cities.

Although I've found no mention of percussion cap weapons at Goliad, or at the Alamo, I did come across information that indicated a tin of caps was recovered in excavations at the Alamo. Still, that's no guarantee that they were actually used during the fight there.

Regards,
    Jay Stout
    Author of "Slaughter at Goliad--The Mexican Massacre of 400 Texas Volunteers"
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    Jay Stout,
    Send an email to me to discuss this further. Just click on my UserID, Wolf. to the left of this text column.