In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Old Army 44 or 45 Cal ?

hdavidson1955hdavidson1955 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I'm thinking of buying my first Ruger "powder" gun but want to get the Kirst conversion to shoot 45LC as well. I have seen several of the Ruger Old Army pistols in both 44 and 45 caliber, but which one takes the conversion and or which cylinder would I buy to fit which caliber?
While I'm asking about the Old Army Ruger, did they make these whith the long barrel in the standard stainless and the bright polished stainless?

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My stainless Old Army has a 7.5" bbl. and takes a .457 ball or conical bullet, if that helps.
  • Options
    DeborahDeborah Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All old army's are the same caliber which is a 44 round ball but in reality the bore dia is .452 which is the same as 45 long colt.I have been using 2 of these with R&D cyl.for 10 years with thousands of rounds for cowboy action and have had no problems.In recent years they have been made in 5.5 and 7.5 lengths and diff.finishes some of which are discontinued
  • Options
    hdavidson1955hdavidson1955 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your responses, it's been very helpful!
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get 'em, you'll love them!

My advice would be this:

If you're going to shoot blackpowder/Pyrodex/etc. only, get a stainless finish.

If you're only going to shoot smokeless .45 Colt cartridges in the Kirst Konverter or the R&D conversion cylinder, get the blued finish.

Of course, if you want to shoot both blackpowder and .45 Colt, go with the stainless finish.

Bright polished stainless is, IIRC, not found as often or easily as standard stainless. The main distinction that I've noticed is not the finish so much as the sights. The long barrel (7.5 inch) Old Army comes with adjustable sights. The short barrel (5.5 inch?) has a fixed front sight and a "grooved" rear sight in the top strap. I believe it was Ruger's response to requests for a fixed sight, shorter barrelled pistol that would qualify for SASS competitions. (I don't believe adjustable sights are allowed in SASS matches, IIRC).

Like I said above, get 'em, you'll love 'em!

Big Al
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy cow! I was just on the Ruger website and the Old Army models are being discontinued! Better get it now, man!

Info was on their website at ruger-firearms.com

Big Al
  • Options
    DeborahDeborah Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a SASS shooter for 10 years and have been using old army's with conv cyl's for all 10 years.Mine have adj.sights so I have to shoot modern class or any age based catgory that may be applicable.most recent old army's have fixed sights wether they are 5.5 or 7.5
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to say, but the Ruger Old Army HAS BEEN discontinued, ruger has no more in stock. The Ruger Old Army is a fine revolver. I have one in a 7-1/2" blued and one in 7-1/2" stainless. I have no plans to part with them. Too darn fun to shoot.

Some suppliers may still have some that are new in the box, but you can expect to pay a premium price for most of them.

The few I have seen at recent gun shows were all used and the asking prices were higher than new ones had been selling for.