In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 cowboy loads

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
Want to load some 30-30 for cowboy shooting. any good ideas or recipes ot follow?

Comments

• Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Hey, Longspur.
    I too am on that quest.
    See post:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=283907

I got some 165 gr. cast bullets and had some IMR 4198 around for loading 150 gr.jacketed .30-30 (22.5 gr.of 4198).
    I loaded 10 each of 20 gr., 19 gr., 18 gr., 17 gr. and 16 gr. of 4198 behind the 165gr L RNFPs.
    I don't have a chrono. so I just loaded up different combinations and shot them off to feel the difference between them.
    When all was said and done, even the 16 grainers were a little too stout for my taste.
    I have located a source for 115gr. FNs.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I'm going to order a couple of hundred of them and pick up a jug of Unique and see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I've got Hodgdon clays powder but the don't list that in any of their formulas for cast bullets. Been using that in my 44-40's & 45LC. I like it cause a little bit goes along way & burns clean. Does the 30-30 use the same primers as the large handgun brass?
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    I use Large Rifle Primers in my .30-30s.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot at about 4 different cowboy ranges and don't know a one of them that would allow 30-30, even with reduced lead bullet loads. Have you checked with your club/ range to see if it's permissable?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's my range & my rules. I guess I can do what I want. It is a local shoot not sanctioned by any governing body other than the people invited to attend.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by 'cowboy loads' you mean low recoil plinking loads,Unique is the one you want.Shoots about like a mid range 357.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 7.5 gr. of Red Dot with either a 170 gr. Lead Flat Point with Gas Check or 130 gr. Lead Spire Point. don't use the pointed bullets in tube magazines. I get 1200 fps with the 170 gr. and 1400 fps with the 130 gr. this is from my 22 inch H&R Topper single shot.

They have plenty of punch to ring steel at 100 yards but they are pretty light on recoil. LIke a previous post indicated this is .357 mag. revolver performance

Tim