In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

we learned the hard way!

dunntawkindunntawkin Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I started shooting Cowboy shoots in about 1985. There wasn't a bunch of us,in fact at most of our get togethers there were maybe ten on a good Sunday. We shot at the Five-dogs range outside of Bakersfield, Calif. There was a bunch of Buckskinners shooting flints and percussion rifles dressed in period outfits that we took the idea from. They tended to look down upon us, I think. Well...we didn't have the poppers and other things that make wonderfull shoots today....we improvised with pieces of steel plate and such....All of us at one point or another had to pick pieces of lead out of our faces and arms from splashback from the plates we were using. One time we put a lifesize indian plate on a mock horse at about a thousand yards to see who could replicate the famous shot made by I can't remember the gentlemen's name....at the battle of Adobe Wells...well, we all shot all the ammo that we brought and nobody won that match! Hell of a shot that man made...

Dunntawken SAS# 334

Comments