In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My New Lemat

avid fanavid fan Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I'm very new to the sport of percussion firearms and just purchased a beautiful Pietta Lemat revolver. I have not yet loaded or fired it but I was inspecting it (working the action.) Not dry-firing but cocking the hammer, pulling the trigger and letting the hammer down easy. I noticed that the Cylinder Stop, which seems to be just a small pin, does NOT engage when the pistol is in the fully-cocked position.

This means that the cylinder can be rotated as if it were half-cocked and sometimes the nipple is out of alignment with the hammer. I've made sure to pull the hammer all the way back too. The Cylinder Stop only seems to engage when I pull the trigger. It pops into place just a split second before the hammer reaches the nipple. Once I cock the hammer back, it retracts again.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it because I'm "riding" the hammer instead of just letting it drop? Should I take the side plate off and try to adjust the return spring? I've read that the Cylinder Stop (pin) is cammed in and out with the action of the hammer. Perhaps something is just a little bit off? Is this a common problem with this pistol? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That ain't right. I have not owned a LeMat but I am familiar with the Colt repros. The cylinder should be in a fixed position when at full cock.
    Who did you buy the pistol from?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought it from Dixie Gun Works on their website. They're located in Tenessee I beleive. I'm trying to contact them to see if I can exchange it. But like I say, I'm not sure if this is just a common problem with this type of pistol. I read a review that said two major issues with the Lemat are it's weak loading lever and the cylinder stop.

Then again I've read posts from poeple who'd had no problems at all with it.[?]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad you bought it from Dixie. They have a great technical support staff. Get hold of them by phone and they will give you the scoop.
    If it is broken I am sure they will make it right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Talked to the folks at Dixie and got it squared away. Had to make an adjustment to the timing on the Cylinder Stop. Works like a charm now!

Dave
  • Options
    TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good, does the bolt engage at full cock now?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, it locks into place solidly now with everything lined up correctly.