In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

THE NEW FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE IS OUT!!!

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
The anxiously-awaited 9th Edition is now available!!!

http://www.flayderman.com/

I spoke to Norm on the phone. We've been friends for over 40 years. He said it was really a difficult job updating the prices as so many collectible firearms are now in private collections. He also said he couldn't give fair evaluations on the "mint" condition antiques as they have really dried up in the market. We laughed about how we used to buy mint, unfired Springfield "Trapdoors" for $25-$50 and now you can't even buy a decent bayonet for under $150!

He's shipping my copy out tomorrow. This could be the last "true" Flayderman's guide as Norm is now 80 years old and he isn't sure he'll still be up for it personally in another 5 years although he expects his company will continue to publish it.

Comments

• Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, Norm's books are the best. The 9th edition has been available on Amazon for several months. Lots of great information even if the prices listed are somewhat "off" in a lot of cases. I still find the index frustrating though.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glabray
    Yup, Norm's books are the best. The 9th edition has been available on Amazon for several months. Lots of great information even if the prices listed are somewhat "off" in a lot of cases. I still find the index frustrating though.
    The cause of the frustration is there just aren't as many good collectible firearms on the market like there used to be to make a fair and reasonable comparison of values.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in a financial bracket that makes the idea of actually collecting antique guns one of the great jokes of the millenium -- plus, if there are gods concerned with collecting they would never allow me to acquire any really nice antique, because I am one of those heretics who believes any gun that is shootable, should be shot! So, I am forbidden the acquisition of collectable firearms, and am well content with replicating a variety of those that load from the muzzle. I use Flayderman's Guide for identification and just light reading (yeah, I'm really a hit at parties and such....), and will have to get my grubby paws on the newest edition. Mine is the 7th and, while the values of the guns for the most part don't concern me, I do get questions about value from other people, and any updated info on certain models is worth the price of the book all by itself.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Lots of AWESOME looking old rifles/Pistols in that link, thanks for posting it..
  • Options
    TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL, Mongrel I know what you mean, I'm content reading an outdated reloading manual at parties.