In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin rifles junk?

dal44dal44 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I have 5 marlin rifles that i have had for a while, the last one bought 3 years ago.On monday I bought a 1894 .44 mag that would not feed. I took it back to the shop and the guy sent it back. Out of the last 9 marlin rifles mine is the fiftht one to go back. Turn a round time is about 15 days.Any one else had a proublem with marlins?My wife says it's bad carma , I say I should have shot her the day I met her.

Comments

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took me over a month to get a firing pin from Marlin. Then it still wouldn't shoot. got my money back. The problem with yours,you were trying to get the 44 to shoot 45's.[:D][:D][:D]
    Check your emails tonight and sat[:)]
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ==
    I've heard that Marlin has had quality issues lately. Must have something to do with employee moral in waiting for the axe to fall since Remington bought out Marlin, I don't know.

I have a Marlin Model 1895 in .45-70 and a Model 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45LC. and I haven't experienced any malfunctions whatsoever. However, they are not of recent vintage; the .45 is about 2 1/2 years old and the .45-70 has to be at least 20 years old.
  • Options
    rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlins do not finish their acton very well. There is a marlin forum that tells you how to fix most everything. Before Remmington took over they were problematic and never refined.
    I have a 47-47 Marlin Guide Gun full of OEM stuff from Wild West guns.

ROG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got my marlin back today. It works perfectly.
    This is first time I have ever had trouble with marlin.
    They replaced the lifter and the lever.
  • Options
    SmileyBobSmileyBob Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old post, but hey, I am a new guy! I took a brief foray into SASS, but found I couldn't afford the ammo, dues, fees, etc. that went with the game. (I know RELOAD, also, not my thing) Anyway, I purchased a Marlin Levergun in .357/.38, took her home, commenced to dry fire a few times, and the stock split open right at the mounting screw. Well, I took it back, and dumped it at a loss. The gunstore guy got me into a Henry Big Boy, which despite its weight and non-authentic heritage was SASS approved. Sure, a bit more money, but WAY more gun. Later learned that they had had several Marlins of various configurations coming back for warranty work. Truth be known, I should have kept my Winchester in .44 mag. But my SASS advisor wanted me to match up to my two Ruger New Vacs in .357. I will not be buying any Marlins in the future.
    SmileyBob
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My new Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 is of very good quality and superbly accurate. Rifle fell off my horse out of my saddle scabbard at a good clip and didn't hurt the stock. Overall, made really well but pricey. Purchased late 2007.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Smiley Bob I think you will like your Henery just fine . I have a friend who shoots cowboy matches and got two deer with his .45 colt
    Henery . He says the added weight helps in rapid fire on the sass rifle targets .
    Marlin made my gun right , it was just a pain to have to wait to get it back .I;m old and I never know how long I got left , I passed on the green bannas today at the store .[:D]

Dave