In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black powder gun safety questions...

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a percussion cap spark solely due to the hand-pressure applied while securing it onto the nipple. I don't know how much pressure is required to set one of them off.

Also, how safe is it to carry a loaded cap and ball revolver (with 5 chambers loaded and the hammer resting on the empty 6th) in the field in a western style holster? Since there are exposed caps on the right hand side of the pistol (where the loading gate would be on a cartridge pistol) this question in a way ties into the above about how sensitive the caps are.

Thanks.

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO I don't think it is physically possible to detonate a cap simply by pushing it on the the nipple.

I carry my C&B pistola around with all 6 cylinders loaded and caped during the MZ hunt.

The caps have a better chance of falling off than they do being directly striked and going off.

but that is just my .02
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load all 6 chambers of the cylinder and rest the hammer on the safety notch between the chambers.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would be somewhere between VERY hard and impossible to set off a PC with hand pressure ... you've got to whack it pretty good with the hammer!
  • breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a percussion cap go off once when it was scraped off
    the nipple with a pocketknife. I guess there was just enough
    friction. Yes, it did ignite the charge of powder but fortunately no one was hurt.

Generally primers and caps have to have a hard, quick hit
    and hand pressure is not gonna give you that.

Carry all 6 loaded with the hammer resting BETWEEN chambers.
    I carried my 51 navy like that and it had little ears between
    the chambers that the hammer rested on which prevented the cylinder from turning.