In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2nd generation Colt question

laocmolaocmo Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Of all the Colt 2nd generations, are any more rare than others in terms of numbers made, years made, etc. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Are you asking about SAA's or blackpowder revolvers? Which models in particular?

This article may help: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/cap_ball/
  • Options
    laocmolaocmo Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I was talking about the black powder cap and ball types.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laocmo
    Sorry I was talking about the black powder cap and ball types.

OK, then yes in answer to your question. There were a number of "special issues" and I recommend you pick up a copy of "Percussion Colt Revolvers: The Second Generation" by Dennis Russell for a year-by-year description of standard and special models.

For example, here's a Colt factory-engraved 2nd Generation Model 1851 Navy I recently sold on Gunbroker:

pix354674890.jpg
    pix354674984.jpg
    pix354674687.jpg
    pix354674765.jpg
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE GUN SPIDER. WHAT IS THAT GUN WORTH? NOT TRYING TO BE NOSEY BUT I AM JUST GETTING INTO BLACKPOWDER. HAVE BEEN PICKING UP A FEW. THANKS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOMMASBOY
    NICE GUN SPIDER. WHAT IS THAT GUN WORTH? NOT TRYING TO BE NOSEY BUT I AM JUST GETTING INTO BLACKPOWDER. HAVE BEEN PICKING UP A FEW. THANKS.
    It was a Colt "Show Gun" at the Las Vegas gun show. I sold it for $2,499. Here's the auction with more details and pics:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92754267
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Spider said. Dennis has just published a 4th edition of his book. Mines on its way to me right now.

There were numerous limited editions made. Some in qualtities as low as 1 as well as 1 of 1776 sets, 1 of 500 cased sets; 1 of 250 cased sets etc. Another good reference (with lotsa nice pictures) is Dennis Adlers Colt Blackpowder Reproductions and Replicas - A Collectors & Shooters Guide'. It includes not only 2nd Gens; but Sig series and other manufacturers guns.