In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pursuit lt problems

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
just bought a used pursuit lt for my son to use next year, it is one of the few guns I have been taken on, not what the guy at the show said, but the price was still low enough that I'm not hurting anyway but it looked like it had never been cleaned since owned, after a short fight with the breech plug and bending a few rods the plug came out barrell was dirty but not noticable pitted, just real dirty, got the rifle cleaned up put back together. when we got to range found out the gun wouldnt't close with a primer in the plug. It will close and lockup without one just fine but put a primer in and you have to slam the rifle hard to get it to lockup. The breechplug seems to be seated as far as it will go, we are using winchester primers (209), are other brands shorter? could this be the problem or have any of you out there had this happen to you?

Comments

• Options
    mississippi ramblin manmississippi ramblin man Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've been BP gunsmithing for 30+ years. I also own a Pursuit lt and 2 Pursuit pro's. You are correct the Win. primers are longer. Try CCI, your barrel will lock up just right. If for some reason you feel you must use the Win. primers, pull your breech plug and mill a couple thou off the face. In the lit. that comes with the Pursuits they state which primers fit and which ones wont. Call Traditions, they will send you a manual. One of my Pursuit pros is in 12 ga. The other two are .50 All good guns for the money......RamblinMan

WANT MORE GUN CONTROL? TRY USING TWO HANDS!
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own one of the pursuit's but I had a problem with my savage bolt being very hard to close with remington 209 primers, switched to Winchester's and it works just fine. So there definetly is differences in the size of primers from one brand to another. Try CCI primers and you're problem will probably be fixed, it's amazing which primer you use affects the mechanics of the gun so much. Good luck.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies, it was the winchester primers got a pack of cci and remington both worked fine. It was the last thing I would have looked for buying it used, I had a lot of other things going thru my mind at the time. after all was said and done it does shoot fine and a lot easier to clean than the sidelocks, thanks again.