In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shameless grovelling plug, re-stocked CVA Hawken

mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
Ten hours left to go on my latest BP auction -- a .54 caliber CVA Hawken rifle with a new, unfired barrel and a maple stock with (IMHO) far better lines and detailing than the factory originals. The rifle actually started life as a .50, but when it was given to me the barrel had gone uncleaned after the previous owner dry-balled and just gave up trying to remove the projectile. "Sewer pipe" would be an unjustifiably kind comparison, by way of describing what was left of the bore. The factory stock was also in pretty sorry shape. All other components were in fine working order, so those and a new barrel were mated to a new stock. The barrel is a little unusual by CVA standards in that it's 15/16" across the flats instead of the more common 1". This, along with the more slender lines of the stock I built (as compared with the CVA stock), makes for a rifle that handles beautifully and doesn't look half-bad, to boot.

Deer season's coming -- someone should be in the market for a front-loader to whomp a whitetail with....[:D]

http://www.gunsonthenet.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99334670

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me tell you how much we all apreciate your using the Black Powder message forum boards to do your personal sales advertising. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mbsams: It is a legitimate use of these forums to post sales on the Gunbroker auction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    mbsams: It is a legitimate use of these forums to post sales on the Gunbroker auction.

Thank you, Allen. 487 posts and apparently mine is the first plug for an auction this person's ever seen. Or, maybe mine was the straw that broke his poor overloaded camel's back.

Something about this particular rifle seems to have either amused or aggravated a few people. I think when this 3rd effort at auctioning it ends I'll pull it and just offer it for sale with a few others in June, since you have to pass my front yard to get into Friendship for the Shoots.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mongrel

You are right about your thread. I almost responded before. I could not understand why you started your auction at such a high price. Nothing in the description indicated that it might get such a premium. I have two conventional BP Percussion muzzleloaders that and have been thinking about selling one of them. Both are were sold by TC one is a New Englander and the other is a Hawken. Both are 50 cal. Both are in good shape and shoot fine. My research indicates that I would be lucky to get more than $100 for either so I decided to keep them. You just can't get much for a conventional muzzleloader these days. Everyone is going in-line if the hunting regs allow. Where/how did you come up with $250?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dtknowles
    Mongrel

You are right about your thread. I almost responded before. I could not understand why you started your auction at such a high price. Nothing in the description indicated that it might get such a premium. I have two conventional BP Percussion muzzleloaders that and have been thinking about selling one of them. Both are were sold by TC one is a New Englander and the other is a Hawken. Both are 50 cal. Both are in good shape and shoot fine. My research indicates that I would be lucky to get more than $100 for either so I decided to keep them. You just can't get much for a conventional muzzleloader these days. Everyone is going in-line if the hunting regs allow. Where/how did you come up with $250?

Miscalculation, maybe. I've gotten that price or close to it on several similar guns, previously. Thought I'd see if I might be underselling a little -- apparently not, or at least not on a halfstocked rifle. The guns I've sold through GB and a couple more that ended up being ordered because of what people saw on one of my auctions were all fullstocked. Though they were (with one exception) constructed from components pretty much identical in terms of quality to the rifle I've got on the block, now, I know from years spent down at Friendship that the longer guns bring a better price, though the halfstocked versions actually involve more work.

The fact mine are handmade -- and not done half-badly, in my own (less than) humble opinion [:D] -- is worth a little extra to the right customer, also. Before anyone thinks I'm being a snob, either, I'm the first to recommend that someone who's uncertain about paying somewhat more for the detail that goes with good hand work should buy a new or used factory rifle at a lower price. They shoot every bit as straight, will last as long, and bring people into this sport, which is all good in my eyes. I intend to still be around when persons who go that route decide they want something a little more unique, and the fact I don't do this for a living means that not selling a gun here and there won't stop me building them.