In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti Remington 1858

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
I always wanted a replica cap-and-ball revolver, but never got around to getting one until recently, a Uberti Remington 1858. Accuracy has been great with 15 grains FFFg and .451 round ball. However, I am having troubles with percussion caps staying on the nipples. I am using the apparently Uberti-recommended #11 size, in RWS brand. Often recoil causes one or more of the caps to fall off per cylinder full. I remember reading about "pinching" the caps to fit tightly. Is that a common practice? Or should I get #10 caps, slightly smaller? Or are other brands than RWS a snug fit? Suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to pinch my caps to keep them in place. I shoot a Pietta Colt with CCI caps.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5 Remmie 58's, and all I ever use are the #10. They work great!
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I have to pinch my caps to keep them in place. I shoot a Pietta Colt with CCI caps.

Hmm

I use #10 CCI on my Pietta 1862 Colt NY Met Police .36

Never a problem with cap fit, and almost never a cap jam after it's fired. Are you using 11s? The 10s fit nice and snug for me
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I suppose it is easy enough for me to buy and try some #10 caps. It should be obvious if they'll fit snugly on the nipples, or if they won't go on at all. The old fella at the gun shop said to use No. 10's, but I read the instructions in the box, and they said No. 11's, so that's what the clerk sold me. I was looking for some data on the actual measurements, but couldn't find anything. As for "pinching", I was unsure of how and how much to pinch. One thing sure was that these revolvers were functional and reliable in their day, so I must find out how to make mine so. Thanks all for the suggestions.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using number 11 caps. I will have to give the number 10 a try.

As for how much to pinch a number 11, just pinch it a little, make it a little oblong rather than round. It is easy to do.

I will get a box of number 10s and give them a try, though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I obtained some CCI #10 percussion caps. They fit very well, taking a litte extra push to seat them home on the nipple. There is enough friction fit that they don't fly off from recoil. Problem solved! Thanks all for your input.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to #10's and your problem will be solved! I bought a packet of #10's by mistake and I have to really work to get them on my long guns! So I know they are just a tac smaller in diameter.