In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the 38SPL/357mag for Marlin Cowboy Rifle

instructorinstructor Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
I am having trouble reloading the 38 spl for a Marlin Cowboy rifle, the cases hangup on the carrier and will not feed. I am using a standard set of RCBS 38.357 dies, case OAL is under factory 38 SPL RN. I am using 158gr RN cast bullets. Any suggestions???

Comments

• Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To start with, I wouldn't be using a RN pill in a tubular magazine. The bullet weight shouldn't be an issue, but try using a RNFP.

Most folks that I know shooting 38's are using either a 147 or 125gr bullet.

Some of the newer Marlins have gotten pretty sloppy in workmanship. You may want to have somebody check it out, and see if the timing is off. Wait til you experience the infamous "Marlin Jam"! It's a thrill!
  • Options
    macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What OAL are you loading to ? Is the problem that the next round is catching the carrier and not allowing you to close the lever ? I had that problem with my marlin when I used some 38 spec that were to short. I loaded mine to 1.50" OAL. Pretty close to .357 specs. I didn't have the Cowboy rilfe just the normal 357 marlin. Marlins seem to be pretty OAL sensative. Bullet shape didn't seem to be that big a deal. I've used 158gr. truncated cones, round nose and round nose flat point.
    You may need to just load your rounds a little longer.
    Good Luck,
    Marc
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Use 357 instead of 38 special, load them with TrailBoss, you can load them light without having ignition problems, and it will solve your feeding problem.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am experiencing the Marlin Jam and it is no thrill. That is the problem I am having. The case rim hangs up on the carrier and then I have to ram the case back up into the magazine tube. I am using a Lee factory roll crimp die after i use the standard seat die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like an OAL problem to me.. The cart on the carrier isn't long enough to keep the next one out of the way of the and it's jamming the carrier. Do you have any factory 38 spec to try, or have a buddy that you can get a hand full from ?
    Good luck,
    Marc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it feeds and runs fine with factory 158gr round nose. The reloads are bedeveling me. Thanks Marc!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Problem solved: it never was the reloads!!! Marlin had to replace the sear, regauge the carrier, and polish the chamber! This was on a NIB rifle. Great workmanship form Marlin on the Cowboy rifle!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow that sucks... Glad that Marlin took care of it for you..
    Marc