In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EMF Hartford 44-40 locking-up

Doctor JohnDoctor John Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello the camp!
New to this forum so bear with me. I purchased a new EMF Hartford 44-40 revolver not long ago. Recently took it out to the range and after about 5-6 reloads the hammer began to be very difficult to pull back. It finally got to the point that it wouldn't pull back at all.
I suspect the problem lies in bp fouling. I was using 38 grains Goex, Wichester primers, Laser Cast 200 gr. bullets.

After a good cleaning at home, everything functioned fine when I dried fired using snap caps.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lube the cylinder pin before you start shooting.

That is about all I can suggest, either that or use smokeless powder.

Bode

P.S. You gotta love those 44-40's loaded with the real black powder.
  • Options
    TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats not bad really, just pull the pin and spit on it every few cylinders. Lazer cast's dont work well with BP even when lubed with SPG or 50/50 because their too hard and dont carry eneough lube. I use them in a couple revolvers and like you I have to clean after 20-30 shots. No big deal though, I just deal with it. Good luck
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use grease, not oil on cylinder pin of percussion revolvers and on cylinder pin and on all surfaces of the SAA bushing.