In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1st BP Revolver... Some Questions....

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
I recently picked up a Pietta New Army 1858 .44 revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel through Cabela's. I've never owned a BP revolver, and the instructions that came with it are very general. What size round balls should I use? Why are there 3 options that are .45 when it's a .44? How much pyrodex should I use? Thanks.

.451" diameter, .44 caliber pistol
.454" diameter, .44 caliber pistol
.457" diameter, .44 caliber pistol

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to use a slightly oversized ball with a cap and ball revolver, in order to get a good tight fit.
    When you are loading the ball a little lead "donut" should be shaved off. If a lead donut is not shaved off, you are using a ball that is too small.
    You have a copy of the Remington, I only have Colt copies and mine use .454 or .457. I prefer the .457 because I like a real tight fit.
    I am sure someone with Remington experience will chime in with the voice of experience, if not, try the .454
    I am using 28 grains of black powder so I would try 28 grains of Pyrodex.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    steeltoe, I have the exact same BP revolver as you do. I use 30 grains of Pyrodex with a Hornady .454 ball and a greased wad in between them. It is as accurate as can be expected. I average about a 5" group at 25 yards. I have also taken a deer with mine, so I know that they pack a punch (even though the shot was about 3 yards[:D])
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steeltoe, I use a .451 in my '58, with no problems, I get a doughnut as well, mine is about 25 years old, and used to chain fire with anything smaller. Wads are a good idea.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an original and I use 28 grains of black powder behind a .457 ball. In North Dakota, this is not a legal caliber for deer hunting but I have used it to kill 5 skunks.